Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know brake fitting sizes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Apr 19, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Does anyone happen to know or have a book that says what the thread sizes are on the brake line fittings on the master cylinder of a 96 k3500? I'm assuming there the same as the 1/2-1 tons and the 88-98's but who knows. Anyway, I'm removing the ABS module and need to fab up some new lines to run from the front wheels to the master cylinder.

Any help appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I do not know the sizes but are you aware that if you disconnect the ABS then you will fail on the smog check next time around? Just a thought before going too far.

3. willyswanter

Why would I fail on a smog check??? The fuse has been pulled the module for over a year now... Would I just fail the visual or what? Cause I can make it appear hooked up...

4. 4X4HIGH

Yes, you would fail the visual. If they see that it isn't hooked up or if the ABS light is on in the dash or pulls a code they will fail you immediately.

5. willyswanter

Well the ABS light is on right now since the front wheel sensors are not hooked up. So even if I didn't touch anything from now on there is no way to get that light to go off other than cutting the wire to the bulb... Well this sucks...

If the light is not on and it appears to be working will they check the codes on it? Or is it a think where they just plug in and there computer brings up any stored codes automatically and I'm fubar?

6. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Have you actually failed for this reason..... or is it a rumor? What does ABS have to do with emissions....nothing. I may understand failing a safety inspection, but this sounds odd. In PA you will not have problems. I'm sure your state may vary, but this sounds rediculous.

Now back to line sizes. They can be both american lines or metric. Look at the flare type. If it is a bubble type it is metric (fittings are usually coded red or green). Inverted flare is american (color usually silver, gold or copper). Nice thing is that changing the tube nuts & reflaring is all thats needed as line size is nearly identical. In fact some ABS boxes have both types on the same unit. If you do not have a bubble flare tool, buy replacement metric brake lines & reflare the other end to adapt the different types.

7. willyswanter

Yeah this was my thinking since we don't even have vehicle inspections here. And when I get it smogged they are in and out and usually never check anything... Last time I got smogged in this truck the radiator was pouring out fluid and the parking brake didn't even work...

The fittings are gold and are inverted flare. What I'm going to do is order Earls braided lines and make the connections that way so I don't have to re-bend or flare any of the fittings so if I do have a problem the lines will still be in there stock location and I can re-connect them if I have to. I'm thinking there 3/8-24 IF but the two fittings are different sizes but the hex on them where you put the wrench are the same size so that confuses me a little...

8. 4X4HIGH

The reason you would fail an emissions test is because the light can not be on, and also they will check for any codes that are present. You gotta love California smog people. Come June 1st California goes to enhanced smog program (smog check 2) all smogs will now be done on a dyno. This only applies to places that currently have a smog program in effect. Also if you have a full time 4WD or all wheel drive vehicle then you are exempt from the smog check 2 program and only have to deal with the existing smog check 1 program.

9. willyswanter

Hmm, interesting... I guess we will see what happens and if it fails then I'll have to figure something out... Best thing I can do now is just turn the light off but there will still be a code but hopefully they won't pull them if they don't see anything to tip them off... The place I go for smog checks already does the dyno thing and it sure is intersting seeing my 8k pound truck on a chassis dyno going 25 mph with a little 1" ratchet strap holding it in place... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. 4X4HIGH

Just think about the possibilies of the law suit when someones truck jumps off the dyno /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Maybe then they will get rid of them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. willyswanter

Think if I put my t-case in 4hi and duct tape the handle to the floor I can get away with saying it's a full time 4wd? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif