Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone know carbs? again

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by paul_cfh, May 16, 2000.

1. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

ok first let me fill you in on what happened over the weekend ........i traded my project 79 blazer for a 78 (liked it better and body was better) the only problem is it has a 305 (79 had no motor) with a two barrell rochester 2G now i plan to drop in a 350 that i'm building but i want to get this thing running to be able to move it and drive it some while i'm building the 350 .......here is the problem 1. i dont know jack about rochester's let alone two barrels ......2. when i start the truck up the choke was messing up, it would idle realy high then die out or it wouldnt close to start (the choke) i solved that with a manual choke kit ....now the problem is it wont idle right ......the fast idle is to high and the curb idle is to high also it deisals when i shut it off (not much just a little) that also reashures me that the idle is to high ......now my ? is how do i adjust the idle on the the rochester .......please dont tell me to get a new carb cause i dont want to buy one untill i have the 350 ready ......any help would be great

also has anyone seen a mint dash in a old chevy i mean this thing is perfect i think thats why i fell in love with it (*S*) i'll have to post a pic of it
    damn i can build a good motor but i couldnt tune a carb to save my life (thats life uh)

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

2. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Re: anyone know carbs?

I don't know if this is the same carb but on th e 2GV the idle speed screw is on the throttle lever (where the linkage is) . It has a spring on the screw threads. It is on the same side as the choke kick lever and the pump rod. It is also across from the choke vacuum break. I hope that helps. Just turn the screw out.

3. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

I just rebuilt my Rochester 4bbl, don't know how similar, but I'm moderately mechanically inclined, and had no problem rebuilding it. One other thing I had done that made a huge difference, was I had the throttle rods re-bushed. Air was getting drawn in from them. Idle wasn't a prob, but it constantly sputtered when accelerating.
    Good Luck!

Love those tri-year Blazers!

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your timing may be out of whack, and yes I just test drove a '78 in immaculate condion. It had the Cheyenne package with the brushed aluminum looking dash around the gages. Very nice. Too bad the dealer wouldn't take less than $7,900 for it.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like a vacum leak to me. Check the T behind the carb on the intake. That carb is basicly a Quadrajet minus the secondaries. Good book on Rochester carbs by Haynes at most autoparts stores.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

6. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

Re: anyone know carbs? again

sorry guys i ment to say that my curb idle was way to low ...........today i set the timing (it was off) now it only diesals every other time i shut it off (and only a knock or two) but i did hear the ol' hissing of a vacume leak (couldnt hear it before cause i was working alone and i couldnt get the damn thing running long enough to get around the front of it) so i'm gonna pin point that tom. thanks for the help i'l let ya know what happens

so far all i dont like is the np203 (the linkage was all messed up but i fixed that) and the 2.73 gears

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>