Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know First Gen F-Body rear suspensions?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by sled_dog, Jun 22, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Want to mini-tub the 69 Firebird that is sitting in our driveway, want to fit some 285s or maybe 305s under the rear. Anyway, want to stick with the leaf sprung rear for now, but also want to keep the gas tank in the stock location. I KNOW I have heard of guys doing it, but can't remember what was involved. Anyone know? As far as I knew you had to run a cell in the trunk so the shocks could be relocated where the tank is now. The theme/purpose of the car will be a hot street car / mild corner burner, so much rather have a low mounted stock location tank.

2. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

If you're just mini - tubbing it, you could try a narrower tank from an older compact car, hung in the stock location.. I've seen people do that so they don't have to give up any trunk space.

A buddy of mine has mini tubbed his wife's 71 Camaro, and the body is still up on jackstands.. I'll see if I can get pics. He doesn't have the rear suspension installed yet, he wants to use a 'truck arm' rear suspension from another friends old ASA circle track car, and has to buy it yet.

Tom

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I will eventually link it and all but first I'd like to just minitub it with the leaf springs. Goal is to fit a nice fat tire under the back end. Should be puting down more than enough tire to warrant the tires. Dad likes full tubs, myself I like Mini-Tubs on street cars.

4. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you shouldent have to change the tank just for 305"s/315's

most people jsut relocate the leafs inward a couple inches, if i remember correctly some places make a Kit, with all the hardware.

id jsut check backspacing and get the right set of wheels, i have a buddy with 305/35/18's on a 68 Camaro, and he didnt have to do anything at all...

5. wicked87_k5

wicked87_k5 1/2 ton status