Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know how to convert AC to DC?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, Sep 3, 2003.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I am needing to convert 110 vAC to 12 vDC. The maximum amperage draw will be between 40 and 50 amps.. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

You mean to keep on your truck...?!? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif or just to use in the garage....?

This is exactly what your battery charger does... no?!

Marv

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

This is to keep in the garage.

Your right about the battery charger. But I didn't want to have a charger hooked up to a battery. But that may be the only/best way to go.

That makes me think of another question. Is it hard on a battery charger to run on the highest amperage setting for an extended period of time?

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I don't think it'd be hard on the charger.... might be hard on the battery tho... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Marv

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Would you need a battery? What about a continuos duty cycle charger as opposed to a trickle charger? Just plug the 12v accesory into the charger and turn the charger on?

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

That's kind of what I was thinking. You have any idea of the amperage output of a charger like that?

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Anywhere from 5 to 300 Amps. You can get one from Snap-On that has a continues 200/40/10 I think.

A lot of the smaller chargers are trickle or timed to keep form blowing the thing up or have built in sensors to keep from over charging. The bigger models give you a little more freedom. At least that's what I've seen so far. I guess now's a good time to upgrade the battery charger in the house /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm betting a quick look at Sears would find the ideal setup. They've got a nice wheeled charger for $110 that will do 200/40/??. The 40 is continuos duty and should work well.......

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Mind if I ask what it is for? Some devices are better suited for that kinda duty than others.

I dont know what you need 40-50amps for, but unless you got some beefy house lines, I would steer away from any continuous load at 40-50 amps. That load, + a few lights will put you to the max of what most household wires will hold before the circuit breaker trips.

Your cheapest solution is acutally a battery charger- however, Most do not put out at the level you are expecting it to. My battery charger has a trickle of about 2amps max, a fast charger at 20amps, and like a start mode of like 75-100 (i forget, I've gone through so many). if you can find one that puts out 50 in the regular charge mode, it might work for you. - However, stay away from the "intelligent" models- They are great for charging batteries, but terrible for anything else. The circuitry will cut off, thinking there is a "fault" in the system if you have something other than a battery connected.

The other choice you have, is to consider getting a battery bank charger.- These are the same units used by RV's and boats, where they can convert shore power to charge up the depleated banks on the vehicle. I have two of these for home use, they work really really well, and the nice part is, for your application, you can get the peak amps you need from the battery, and then the unit will self charge to full again. Its a great way to buffer devices that might otherwise be too taxing on your home power infrastructure.

9. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Daniel,
    To convert from AC to DC, you need a transformer. Any electrical supply, especially in Tulsa, should be able to get one. Just tell them your application, and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Whatcha doin' now /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

John

10. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the different options. I am basically putting together a hydro powered model 4 bender. I am using one of these to power it. I was informed the max amp draw was 40 Amps, but I will wait to get the paper work to see. [​IMG]

Here's the bad boy bender I am getting

[​IMG]

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

thats pretty sweet!

A deep cycle marine battery with a decent charger should be enough- it just depends on how many bends you tend to do in one sitting. Most marine batteries are 100 a/hr or more, which should be plenty of bending for one day. Add on a good automatic charger, and you should be all set.

(Its not the prettiest of ways, but it works...

12. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey DP...

We have that same hydro set-up on our manlift here at work...

It is powered by a large Deep cell battery...
    and will last up to 10 hours on a charge...
    We just put a trickle charger on it when runnin' low...
    and let it charge over night!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

What's wrong....is that bender givin' YOU a work out!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    To convert from AC to DC, you need a transformer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...no. A transformer is to make higher or lower voltage from AC, for example, to step voltage up and down.

A rectifier is what turns AC into DC current and there are many different types depending on how smooth of a DC current you desire. To get flat DC you have to have some kind of bridge rectifier.

14. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I stand corrected /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You're close. Diodes and bridge rectifiers will still leave you with a half-sine-wave output. The bridge rectifier will just output 'em twice as often. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif To get a solid DC output, you still need some caps and a coil to smooth the sine waves into a nice flat DC voltage. A voltage regulator is also a good thing to have if you don't want the voltage to vary. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But for this application, I'd just use the battery and hook up a battery charger every now and then. The duty cycle for a tubing bender is pretty low, so it should take quite a while to run down a big marine battery. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ahh, I'd forgotten about the filtering. It's been a while since I messed with MAKING that kind of stuff. Either way, a transformer has nothing to do with DC. Due to the fact that true DC has no moving magnetic field like AC, a transformer will not work with DC at all.

I agree with you completely, I was simply making a point that a transformer is not what is needed here.

17. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Go looking for the biggest transformer you can find in a piece of equipment. I found a 60amp multiple tap transformer in an old piece of industrial something or other. If it has really big wire coming out of it (in the 8-10 gauge range) then that is what you're looking for.

Next, go to radioshack and get a few 25amp bridge rectifiers and a few packages of those assorted boxes of electrolytic capacitors. Use the biggest capacitor in there rated for 16v or more. You can also use the capacitors found on capacitive start electric motors. The idea is to find the largest ones because they'll hold the most energy and help limit DC ripple.

You find the pairs of leads from the transformer that'll step it down from 115v (or 220v) to 13-16v. On the stepped-down side put the three bridge rectifiers in parallel carefully marking ground. Stick the negative lead of the capacitors on the ground side. Tie the leads up and you've now got a redneck power supply.

18. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Bam! Hey Harry, is there anything you dont know about? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Harry, is there anything you dont know about?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure there's something, but I just don't know that I don't know about it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have a degree in electronics and computers, so I have a pretty good idea of how all that sorta stuff works. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I also just love to know how stuff works, so I read a lot of articles that go into detail on a wide variety of things.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine asked off-the-cuff how they put the first down lines on the TV screen during football games. It blew his mind when I explained it to him. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif He then asked the me same question you just did...

20. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey Harry, is there anything you dont know about?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure there's something, but I just don't know that I don't know about it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have a degree in electronics and computers, so I have a pretty good idea of how all that sorta stuff works. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I also just love to know how stuff works, so I read a lot of articles that go into detail on a wide variety of things.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine asked off-the-cuff how they put the first down lines on the TV screen during football games. It blew his mind when I explained it to him. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif He then asked the me same question you just did...

[/ QUOTE ]

So......how DO they put those lines on the screen during football games? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

You might as well tell us now.