Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Know How to Louver?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Overdrive, Jul 30, 2000.

1. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

This is one of my stranger questions, but there is a point. Has anyone ever done any custom body work suck as punch louvers in fenders or a hood? I am talking about those little slats you typically see on a VW engine cover.

Here in Arizona the heat is a killer! Slow trail riding, means little or no air-flow! I just added an 12" electric fan to the front of the radiator and I am toying with the idea of putting the louvers I was asking about in the hood. Probably on the battery side about 1/2 way back on the hood, then I'll buy one of those trans/engine combo coolers with the built in fan and attempt to mount it on the underside of the hood. Obviously being careful of line placement and a good rubber or insulated mounting for the cooler.

What do you think? When the outside temp is 115 - 120 you can't have enough fans and coolers!!!

Overdrive
    Baking in Arizona!

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

There's probably a shop near you that can hook you up with louvers, just flag down someone with a custom bug or check with local car clubs. A 12" fan for your radiator is a bit small, I'd go for a 16", 18" or dual fan for your radiator. A good electric fan will make quite a bit of difference at low speeds, especially if you're running air conditioning.

3. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

The 12" is in addition to the belt driven fan. I tried a 16" but there is a brace in the middle of the radiator support. The 12" almost did not fit. I am only using it as an Aux. fan.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If all else fails you can do like my bud did and I think I may do also and use some of the vents off a boat. You can get them in an anodized black, aluminum and stainless. My bud put a set in a Trooper that he was having a heat soak problem on and it was an instant cure.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Up at the carlisle truck show I saw a guy who would add them in any design you chose. There are people who do it the problem is finding them.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

7. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

All you need is an old mailbox and a rivet gun! Instant "on a budget" air induction hood.

..Just kidding - I have never actually done this, but it would probably work (as long as you dont mind being laughed at).

8. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

WOW and I thought I was Cheap...lol Anyways, why not hunt the bone yards and dig some up. I know some of the trans ams had them on the fenders and the hood... even my old 78 camaro had them on the fenders.. with a little work I am sure you can fabricate some thing in there.. good luck

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com