Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know how to replace a ring & pinion?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by MJF, Oct 28, 2002.

1. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I need the R&P on my 3/4 ton 44 replaced before I can put it in my blazer. Does anyone have the tools, knowledge, & time to show me how to do it?

Or does anyone know of a good shop that is somewhat affordable?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I just finished doing the gears in my D60, but it's my first gear setup, so I don't think I'm qualified to show you how to do it yet. That said, I pretty much dove into this with no knowledge and seemed to do all right with it, there's lots of places that have instructions online. You do need a fair collection of measuring tols to get it set up right, but even if you have to buy them it would cost less than paying someone else to do the gear setup. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a good dear shop in the San Jose area, which is why I decided to setup my own gears.</font color>

3. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I can probably "borrow" most of the measuring tools from work. It's good to be the calibration coordinator for all the equipment. Can you think of any sites with instructions on doing the work?

I got a quote of around $550 to do it from Santa Clara truck wreckers. One day turn around too. It sounds like a fair price, but anywhere I can save a few bucks is always good.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

greg knows a place too that did his gear work. he said they do not know crap about driveshafts, but did well on his gears. might want to PM him.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> $550! ouch, that's about $300-$350 in labor. For that price you coupld **** them up once then do it again, and still save money... Here's the best set of instructions -

http://www.ring-pinion.com/yukon-instructions.pdf

And some others -

http://www.drivetrain.com/ringpinioninstal.html
    http://www.differentials.com/install.html

And a good all-around resource for Axle info -

http://www.ring-pinion.com/tech.shtml

Read through the instructions at least a few times before starting, and remember the two most important rules about gear setting -

Cleanliness is next to godliness.
    "Close enough" is not close enough.

</font color>

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used to go to Rearend specialties. Mike would charge me $110 labor to set up the gears. I'd bring him the gearset and the install kit. I've heard more and more negative things about that place so i don't know. He seemed to do a good job the last 3 rears we brought to him... but it's been a few years since i've had to go down there.

I think that place Greg went to is like Bayshore truck I want to say off Brokaw Rd? Not sure. They had a good price too as i recall.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Problem with Rearend Specialties now is that Mike has the sho rats do most of the installs. Last time I went there I specifically asked him to set the gears himself since the last set they'd installed stripped after a year. He said no problem, and when I went back 30 minutes early guess what I saw? Some 18 year old Limp Biskit looking M/F installing my gears. They lasted 6 months, then it seems that the teeth jumped off the ring gear. Not going back there now. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me. I don't know what the third time would be, but it can't be good... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif</font color>

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yup i've heard stories just like that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I think mike used to do a lot of the work himself... or maybe i just got lucky with the gears i had him setup?

Now i'll get my friend to show me how to set up my gears, and do all my own work.