Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone know how to

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mudhog, Apr 7, 2004.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i just inherited some stock and id like to find out more about it anyone know how to look up stock info?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Check out the Clark Howard show (AM Radio Show). Seems to be a good place for advise on something like this.

Clark Howard

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Sure. A "hobby" of mine. Use Yahoo(finance) to get a quote and look up history. Then again, what kind of stock is it? Things to look for are splits, reverse splits, historical trends and most importantly, company financial health! What were last quarters earnings, last years, last couple of years etc.

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

PM me if you'd like me to look up some charts for you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mudhog

right now i just need to find out more info on it i know it is for north state power company and it is share holders stock and i have a account number and no I'm not giving that out /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif i would like to find out how much it is and any info i can on it. how do i do it?

6. bigyellowjimmy

Please verify the name as "North State Power Company".... Ive found a "Northern State Power Company". /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. mudhog

yes it is northern state power company and it is in Minneapolis Minnesota

8. bigyellowjimmy

It appears that Northern State Power is doing business as Xcel Energy (XEL) in North and South Dakota. I dont believe Northern State is publicly traded, however XEL is. XEL is trading at around $17.75 today and has climbed approx $5.50 since May 03. If you need a stock price for the parent company Northern try calling them at 701-241-8607, they are HQ'd in Fargo, ND. With your account number info they should be able to help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

oh and yes, the corporate HQ does appear to be in Minnesota but I dont have contact info for that office, the Fargo office should be able to help.

9. mudhog

i don't know anything about it except it was bought over 20 years ago /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif the only other thing i know is my great grandma used to get a check every 3 months from them for this and in 95 it was about $437 every 3 months /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. bigyellowjimmy

Are you recieving the dividend checks now? Im not sure what you are asking......you'll have to look at the stock certificate (if its that old you may have an actual paper certificate) or look at your statement to see if you own Northern Power or Xcel. If you own Xcel, it is publicly traded, you can sell on the open market via a broker whenever you wish. If its Northern Power and not publicly traded you will have to consult your stock broker on how to sell it. Or you can keep it and continue to recieve the dividend checks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. mudhog

no I'm not receiving anything yet she just recently passed /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i was just trying to find out more info about it so i can start receiving or sell it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. bigyellowjimmy

Okay, try the phone number and explain to them that you need the dividend payments sent and written to you. They will probably ask you for some info. Sorry about your Great Grandmother /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. mudhog

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif she lived a long good life she would have been 94 tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif any idea on how much it would be to pay out the $437 every 3 months?

14. bigyellowjimmy

Wow, 94! That is a long life. Grandparents are a blessing, glad you will always have memories of her. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Dividends are paid by the company based on profitablilty usually. So if they make money they pay share holders a certain amount of the profit divided by the number of shares. By owning shares you actually own a portion of the company. It sounds like they pay their stock holder dividends quarterly. You can also ask them about selling your stock at the same time you are asking about transfering it into your name. So the dividend amounts will more than likely change from quarter to quarter based on the amount of outstanding shares and on profitability. You do need to get this transfered into your name..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. mudhog

thanks and i appreciate all the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. bigyellowjimmy

good luck brother /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif