Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know if i need a puller to get the harmonic balencer off a 22R?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Apr 23, 2006.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I just got a litle 85 toyota that has the 22r in it. The oil pump seal is leaking (which im told is really comon). So im suposed to be able to pull the harmonic and the 4 bolts behind that and that should expose my leaky O-ring right? So do i need a puller for the harmonic or will it just slide off?:bow:

mitches camara pics 185.jpg

mitches camara pics 187.jpg

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It has been a long,long time since I replaced my front seal on my 22RE but I think it came right off ( no puller required ).

Tom

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I'm pretty sure you're gonna need a puller. It's been like 5 years since I did mine, sooooo...... But, I think the balancer has two holes in it, 180* apart, where you screw in some bolts and then use the puller on those. Not the three jaw type puller, butthe one that is like a flat bar with a notch on either side that you slide under the head of the bolts. Also, I *think* that you need to pull the timing chain cover to get the seal out, which requires removing the head. I went ahead and had my valves redone when the head was of as I had almost 200,000 miles on it. I also replaced the timing chain, and guide, as these are known to wear to where the chain will ride against the inside of the timing cover until it wears through. I don't know about the 85 motors, but at some point Toyota went to a single roller chain, with plastic guides. Lot's of guys swap them out to the early double roller style, with the metal backed chain guides. I couldn't believe how much work it was just to stop a GD oil leak....

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

A puller might be needed but I seem to remember waiting a weekend to do the job because I loaned my straight bar puller out and it turned out that I did not need it after all.

I was able to replace the seal without removing the cover but as "Mofugly13" said up above if you have to remove yours than upgrade the chain/gears if possible and replace those nylon looking guides and tensioner.

Good luck ! Tom

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

ok sounds like some good concreate answers so far...not... Thanks so far for the replys but does anyone have a for sure answer for me?

6. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Det Cord.

7. mofugly13

Well, it sounds like maybe you dont need one. Whassamatta, you dont have a puller? I think this is one of those, "You might need one.." answers, with no concrete final answer. Like, "Will I need a torch to remove my shacke bolts?", you won't know 'till you try.

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

good luck getting the crank bolt out. it can be a real bitch.

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Nope i dont have a puller. Sory if i sounded un appreciative about the other coments, And i kinda thought that that bolt was gonna suck. Oh well i guess i'll just go give er a try and see what happens. Thanks alot though for getting me pointed in the right direction.

10. mofugly13

One trick on that bolt, is to get a socket on it with a breaker bar, and brace the breaker bar against the frame, then pull the wire to the coil, get inside and bump the engine. When you get it all back together, dont be a dumbass like me and leave that socket/bar on there when you fire up the engine the first time.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll find lots of 'yota heads hanging out over at www.IH8MUD.com :)