Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know Laptop Hardware? Monitors...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mr.smartass, Feb 26, 2007.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

What I need to know is how to measure a laptop monitor. Do I just measure the screen itself or across the casing and everything?. Across just the screen appears to be about 13 1/2" across the whole case is about 15 1/2". It's a dell Inspiron 600m and if I send it to dell for replacement it's $500 and the computer itself isn't worth that.

Laptop monitors are on ebay constantly. What i need to know is, does it have to be a dell monitor, what size is this (14" ?), and do I need drivers with the replacement monitor or are they plug and play? I would like to have it fixed for my road trip I'm planning. Thanks for your help guys.

-Justin

2. mr.smartass

Apparently that is a big fat no... :haha:

Shameless bump.

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

is yours broken or or if you look really close can you see the desktop?

i took my screen apart and replaced the light tube. not the easiest thing to do , but not the hardest either.

if its not a light issue, it may be a cable issue, the one that runs from the mobo to the screen

if you do order one, get the exact model number on the back of yours and order the same model number!!

good luck

4. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Some models were known for the DC-to-DC converter going belly up making you think the display was bad. Some converters were screwed into the bezel behind the screen but most were above the KB where the display connected to the MB.

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a few extras laying arround.. The screen is a 14.1" screen. let me know how much your willing to pay.

6. mr.smartass

No guys it's busted to heII and back, spider webbed from the top right corner all they way down. Jek are they all the same? Would I need drivers? How hard of an install is it? I'm looking at another similar computer for sale, might just get it and swap parts over.