Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know much about mountain bikes/hybrid bikes?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NoAngel, Apr 21, 2002.

1. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to by a new bike, but I don't want to spend a fortune. I'm leaning toward a brand by the name of Giant, they go for about $350 and are suppose to be lightweight. Anyone got one they like or can recommend? Thanks.

2. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I've got a Mongoose Zero G3. I've had it for a year or so and been really happy with it. A friend of mine has a Giant, he likes it, but wishes it had rear suspension.

3. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

mongoose is much better than giant i believe but can be pricey.GT makes good bikes for a cheap price but they arnt always lightweight.

4. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

How much did you pay for your Mongoose? Is it made of aluminum or chromealloy?

5. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

6. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Sweet!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Michelle,

There are a lot of good bikes on the market and all don't have to be name brands like GT, Giant, Gary Fisher, Trek, Specialized, Klein, Marlin, etc...
    I own two a Specialized Enduro Expert and a Trek 930 the best advice I can give you is to shop around, if you know anyone that does bike work then order all the parts online and build a bike. Otherwise research prices online. Then go negotiate with the local bike shop. I paid too much for my trek when I bought it from the local shop, yes they have overhead and I don't mind supporting part of that in turn for local service but I won't pay that much again. My Specialized is a $1900 bike and I only have roughly $800 invested in it running disc brakes and all xt components
    http://members.cox.net/lkjr31/home.htm (under the bikes tab)
    You didn't specify your intentions with this bike either. Is it going to be a once a month thing or are you going to ride the heck out of it?
    If you plan on riding it hard I'd say try to go for the better components. Also if your looking for longetivity in your purchase make sure it's a 9 speed bike, (or 27 in normal people terms) Also make sure the bike fits you right. Bikes come in S, M, L, and XL but the sizes vary by manufacture. M on one is 18" another company will be 17" and that 1" makes a big difference. Just don't look at one place go to several bike shops that carry different brands and talk to them and get a feel for quality in service and what bikes you like. Also if you can afford it, get a shock that's not elastimer based. Elastimer shocks are ok at first but vary in the weather and you'll want to replace it in a couple years. Also do you want a full suspension bike or a hardtail?

There's a lot I could tell you but you just need to decide what you can afford to spend and do a LOT of research and test rides before you buy anything.

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

FYI supergo.com has a K2 2001 ZED 5.0 clearanced for $539 ($1000 bike) xt components and a 3" air fork.

9. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Thank you so much for the input! 1) Yup, I want to ride it daily, prob. 75%road 25%dirt 2)Want full suspension 3) Keep it under $500 4) Most definitely concerned with proper fit (that's one of the problems with my last bike) 5) Really want it to be as lightweight(prob. #2 with other bike/too heavy) as possible for the price 6) Thanks again and I will heed your advice and also look into your suggestions

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

The ONLY advice I will give you is DO NOT buy it from anyone but a bike shop. Forget the $69 full suspension bikes at WalMart, K Mart or Toys r Us. They're crap and the kid selling it you has no clue. Go to a bike store. They sell them they service them and they can sell you the best bike they have for the money you want to spend. And they usually sweeten the deal with a helmet or water bottles. Oh, and another freebie...... don't get clipless pedals, they break collar boneses! For $500 you probably won't get a top of the line bike. Most decent full suspension bikes are in the $1000 range. Schwinn, KHS, Specialized, Trek, Giant and Iron Horse make pretty good bikes.

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

LMAO "Don't get clipless pedals" LOL, it's just like having to learn to ride all over again, once you get used to them there a must. At least for racing and serious xc stuff,

but for michelle's application I"d stick to the flat pedals

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I got the Sam's Club Motiv special bike last year. It's sweet as heck (people think they are junk but the sucker fell off my bike rack on the freeway and bounced a few times and I was going 65 and it's fine). It's got the full suspension and all the cool toys. My friend talked smack about it and bought a $900 bike the same month. I've done more with mine and it's fine, idiot broke his a few months later cuz it had a cheap chain which broke and messed up stuff (paid for the frame but the parts otherwise sucked).... ask SarazK5 about her new bike she just got. It was like $500 and she got it half off for $250.... it's nice! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

How much did yours cost? Did you buy it recently and do you think they still have them. I am leaning towards buying from a bike shop, for exactly the reasons Jim stated. I am curious about yours though, since you've had good luck with it. BTW...where ya been? Is it me or have you not been around much lately?

14. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

The bike shop I worked at sold a lot of Marin and Fugi bikes. They friggin rocked!!! Back in 2000 you could get a 24 pound race ready bike for right around a grand. Thats pretty damn cheap considering if I bought my schwnn homegrown from the factory like it is instead of building it myself I would have spent 5000 bucks. But if you go to a dealer and see Marin or Fugi, check them out, they are really really worth the money.
    Ben 87 JImmy

15. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Are K2 bikes still around or did they fade away? I heard they were having problems. And what's the rumor about schwinn? Are they now a Chinese company?

16. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I love clipless but they arent made for a 33 yr old BMX racer going over doubles sandwiched betwwen two other racers!!!

17. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

You go on with your bad self!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif How often do you race? I have to say, I will be going clipless. For the riding I'm doing, I won't need 'em. They are a pain in the arse to get used to though, my last bike had them./forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

18. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I'd agree with the bike shop statements too !

19. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I paid $300..... and I love it! Bike shops are nice, but price around.... freaking same bike I saw at City Bike here for over a $100 more.... check out this site called http://www.dirtworld.com and see what they got.... did ya PM Sara? Like I said her bike was 50% off.... as for being around, yeah I am here and there.... got stuff to do.... puting in central heat and a/c in where I am moving and redoing the whole house.... big project, plus work (shhh I am skipping out on it right now...! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

20. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I just sent a pm to Sara. I'll check into the website also. All work and no play makes Steph a dull girl! Don't forget to take some time for yourself!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif