Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know of a good aftermarket heater?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dirt Squirter, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Dirt Squirter

Dirt Squirter Registered Member

I'm gonna tear out the whole dash in my '73 K5 and build one out of aluminum and throw in some autometer gauges. My Blazer has the factory AC which I would love to remove as well as the all the factory heater crap. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket electric heater unit that has outputs to run a couple defroster hoses as well as well as an in-cab vent?

thanks in advance,
    Nate

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I removed all my factory A/C stuff and replaced it with a factory non-A/C heater unit. It is much more compact and works well. Otherwise check this one out.
    Heater

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I would find a Factory Non A/C unit. It's as compact as any of the aftermarket units out there. THe way the set up is you could easily adapt even the A/C set up to work. It's easy to modify the controld to fit into a flat pannel. Just have to make a Bezel for the control out of some ABS plastic.
    THe plennum box could be easily modified to fit small flex duct. Might even be able to retain the factory defroster defusers. If not you could make a cap for the top of the plennum box out of some thin aluminum make a way to connect flex duct. Hit some places that make campers and you can probably find some vents/defusers that will work. If I can find the cash for a Bender I plan to do a simular set up and will do a write up on it. It will be a spring deal so nothing anytime soon.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

JC whitney has a bunch of stuff like that. I was looking at one for the rear of the Blazer in the winter with the soft top. They had one that had a defrost option.

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Buddy has a real nice one he got from 4 wheel parts. Runs off the engine coolant for heat and an electric fan. Works very nice. Comes with a few options so that you can run a defroster. I would suggest looking into it.

Ken H.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Juan (juanblazer) runs the Mojave heater (posted above) and likes it.