Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know the going rate for Freon around here?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Pugsley, May 9, 2002.

1. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Running a pound or so low in both the K5 and the Bronco - anyone had a recharge done lately that can tell me what it cost so I don't have a coronary at the cashier's desk?

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

r-12 is about 60-65 a lb. r-134 is around 20 a lb.

Dan

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Call Filter Products on PV and I 10 area and ask about the Red Tek 12A. Sposed to be compatible in both systems and its only $10 a can. You can also buy r-12 in Rocky Point for about $5 a can!!!!!!!!

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Hey there's a thought - we do live right on the border!!! Thanks for the reversal of my rectal cranial inversion/forums/images/icons/smile.gif!!

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Yea, but Mexicos r-12 is highly flamible, so I would be careful (not the same stuff as ours, just a cheap rip off)

Dan

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Actually, it's not. There is a Dupont factory in Mexico and there are no restrictions or regulations against R 12 in Mexico so it's cheap and plentiful. I had to have my ac manifold replaced last summer and I made sure to tell the tech about the freon in the system and he told me "no sweat". No mechanic is gonna put propane into a recorvery machine that's worth a couple of grand. One of the mechanics at work told me where to go to buy it in Rocky Point, he also told me it's legit. The only problem is, you can't bring it across the border in the cans. Big time penalties!! But if it's in the system...........I'd like to know more about Red Tek. I asked the sales rep if it was like "freeze" ( I think that's what they call it) He told me that stuff was garbage. Dupont is doing everthing they can to keep Red Tek off the market cos it's environmentally friendly, it's cheap, and it's not gonna make you grow a 3rd arm out of your back like I've heard R 134 does. Apparently it's everything R 12 wants to be.