Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? anyone know what a Rev Kit is?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheLakeRat, Aug 29, 2003.

1. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

i'm retrofitting a 502 roller kam into my 82 K30 and i'm lookling at a revkit from comp cams. I think i know what it does but can't find any good info or of one installed.
    Anyone got any info on it's purpose.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

A rev kit can extend your RPM's in a race motor....

Plan on winding that 502 to 7 grand????????

3. TheLakeRat

7g i doubt it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Actually it's the stock 454 that i'm putting the 502 oem cam into. the thing is, your supposed to buy these expencive retro fit lifters to make it work and since i'm a cheap bastard i have to figure a way to do it cheaper. so after alot of searching i'm pretty sure i can use the factory type lifters with the OEM dogbones and retainer but i'll have to drill and tap holes in the lifter valley to mount the retainer. My question is will the revkit hold the dogbones down so i don't have to drill and tap my block to mount the retainer.
    by the way the "dogbones" are the piesec that go around the OEM lifters to keep them straight.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My understanding of the rev kits is that they force the lifters to more closely follow the cam at high rpm's.

Don't think they are designed to hold the lifters in place, thats why there are flats on the lifters and corresponding flats on the dogbones...it's not to keep them "down", it's to keep them from rotating. (which I think you figured out already)

Dunno why you can't just tap the lifter valley, but it's not commonly done...if it were that simple/effective/safe, you'd *think* it would be really common.

5. TheLakeRat

yeah , that's what i thought too. I was planning on keeping the dogbones but using the revkit to hold them down on to the lifters.

I've thought about that also but somebody had to be the first to try it so i figured why not. Actually they are doing it to small blocks but nobody will tak about the big blocks with me.

6. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

They are somewhat like valve springs, but they go on the lifter instead. Their purpose is to keep the lifter following the cam profile at high rpms. If your not going to be running high rpms don't bother. Just more money, more parts to break, and more unwanted friction in your engine.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

x

x

8. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Actyally the main purpose of a Rev kit is to keep the lifter in place in the event of pushrod or rocker arm failure that way the lifter doesn't pop out of its bore causing a loss in oil pressure it mostly a circle track thing my 377 in my blue stepside has a revkit in it and it does work I bent 3 pushrods and the lifters didn't come out of the bores /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's a secondary effect of having a rev kit. The primary purpose is to let an engine rev higher without valve train problems. In a standard OHV configuration, each valve spring must try to control the weight and inertia of the lifter, pushrod, rocker arm, and valve. As RPM's increase, the intertia gets harder to control. One solution is to install stiffer valve springs, but that has its own set of problems. A rev kit adds a second set of springs, which control the weight and inertia of the lifter, removing a large amount of work from the valve springs (and the pushrods, since they no longer have to work so hard to keep the lifter riding on the cam). Since the lifter is one of the heaviest (if not the heaviest) part of the valvetrain, then controlling it with its own spring greatly reduces harmonic vibrations in the valvetrain at high RPM's and lets the engine rev higher.

10. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

well put harry