Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone know what this is

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by general blaze, Dec 13, 2006.

1. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

alright what is the part called that replaces the distrubuter on a gas motor called in a diesel motor. i am leaking oil out of the side of this unit. does it need to be replaced or can i overhaul the existing one.

also how had is it to pull the oil pan on the 6.2 i am also leaking oil from the front of that.

thanks for all your help..

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

would it be the oil pump drive?
    or maybe the injector pump?

im a diesel noob...

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

That would be the vacuum pump. The pan is no problem to drop on 4x4's, but if it is a 2wd it's a whole different story.

Mike

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I agree that it's the vacuum pump, but I don't know what all this talk is about dropping the "pan". The vacuum pump goes in and out in minutes...no oil pan dropping required.

5. general blaze

i also have a leak at the front of the oil pan. that is why i brought that up. why does the vaccuum pump leak oil on the left hand side of the unit? do i need a new pump or can i just pull this one out and fix it? do i need to mark it when i pull it out as i would with a gas engine distributor? sorry for all the questions but i am trying to get this fixed asap..

thanks guys for all the info.

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it doesn't seem like it would leak oil, but, the vacuum pump is connected to the part of the cam which drives the oil pump, maybe oil is somehow being pumped up the shaft of the vacuum. you shouldn't need to overhaul it - i'd bet you just need a new gasket at the bottom of the pump where it meets the engine valley.

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

so when you pull it out do it doesnt have to be marked or anything, it can go back in any way?

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I believe they're keyed like the dizzy on a gasser, but it can go any way as it's not tied to rotation like the dizzy. To remove the intake manifold you gotta rotate the thing 'bout 90* anyway.

It can sit on any position it'' fit, just make sure it's down tight and its holddown is.

Make sense?

-- A

9. general blaze

ya it makes sense. i am going to take a pic of what i am talking about tomorrow. because it is not leaking from where the shaft meets the valley of the intake it is leaking oil on the main part of the unit on the flat left side. there is a round piece about the size of a quarter with a couple knicks in it. oil is coming out of the small knicks in that piece on the left side of the pump. not sure how this is happening but it is. it does not seem like a new gasket is going to fix it. i will dig more into this tomorrow. keep checking this post for soon to come pics.

thanks for all the help

10. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

vacuum pumps are cheap, saw one go for about $16 on ebay. shouldn't be that much more new, or call a few junkyards. you could always try some JBWeld on the nicks and see if it fixs the issue.

11. general blaze

ok so my vacum pump is leaking. now how is this. where does the vacum pump get its incoming air am i sucking in oil from somwhere else. I am thinking it is not the pump that is leaking there is just oil in my vacum lines. what should be my next step here. replace the pump. retail price is about 150bucks.

12. colbystephens

woah! that's pricey. i'll take a look at where my lines run when i get a chance, and get bck to you.

13. general blaze

thanks a lot man. i am pretty sure that there is oil getting into my vacum lines from somewhere else. could this be a bad pcv valve or something. any info would help me greatly. thanks to all that have given some advice on this matte.r

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Oil in vaccuum hoses??..

I have no clue if oil can enter the vacuum pump ,I suppose if it has a bad seal or the diaphram is ruptured it could enter the vacuum pump housing from the crankcase..

But I do know if you have a TH400 tranny, its modulator valve has a diaphram in it that could rupture,and allow ATF to be sucked into the vacuum pump..sure its oil,and not tranny fluid??...:crazy:

15. colbystephens

fwiw, the 6.2 doesn't have a pcv. it's got that big CDR valve above the alternator (big round deal).

one of my vacuum lines goes into the firewall - i assume to run the climate control. the other one disappears behind my engine and i don't have the chance to follow it at this point. hope that's a bit helpful.

16. general blaze

no i am not positive it is oil but it is dark and black. looks like oil i will inspect futher on monday. i have holiday stuff to take care of today and tomorrow. hope i can fix this next week. i am sick of my truck leavin its mark in everyones driveway..lol

thanks again guys.