Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know where I can get a 5.7L TPI engine out of a Camaro or Firebird?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Oct 30, 2000.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

From the responses from my last post about putting a 454 SS engine in my 72, I figured that wasn't such a good idea.

What I would like to know are there any places that sell good used 5.7L TPI engines in Washington State? I live just alittle north in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and I want fuel injection.

What sorts of problem would I be looking at for installing one of these engines? And I remember reading that the Camaro and Firebird engines are better for use in trucks but I don't remember why. Any ideas?

I need one asap, so any info is appreciated!

Thanks again guys,

Rod

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

The tpi makes great low end torque. The problems with installs is the wiring and sensors...mostly a pain in the ass. Also remember there are other stuff people dont think off like anti theft on these cars as well as tranny sensors(VSS) etc. i would get the tpi swappers guide by jags that run it is ver comprehensive i have a copy but dont have a scanner available to send info plus it is huge.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Roostr84 is right on about the advice to get a book, I have the "Chevy TPI Fuel Injection Swapper's Guide" by John Baechtel.

Click on my website and see photos of the motor - TPI 406 SB. The conversion is straight forward, believe it or not. Get all the "hard parts" (entire motor if you can), get a Painless Wiring harness (simple plug-in hookups), put the computer behind the glove box on top of the heater box, and you are basically done. Probably a good idea to put new sensors in (O2, knock sensor, etc.) while you are at it.

Other points to consider - the later year motors (92 or 93 and up) are Speed Density instead of Mass Air Flow. Supposedly this is a much better setup than MAF. You can find these motors in probably any boneyard, Caprices/Impala SS's (GOOD luck finding one of these) are also a donor.

There are lots of things you can do with these setups - mine has matched flow 24 lb injectors, new chip for the computer to "match" the cam (spec'd for the motor size/heads used/HP of motor), so this is an almost limitless idea. TPI makes great low end torque and is very reliable as all parts for them are available from good old GM.......let me know if you need anything else.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at--->http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

By the way, AZBLAZER has a TPI unit for sale under the parts section..........check it out.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

With regard to the Speed density system on the later model tpi's. this setup is a pain if you plan to modify a lot. The Mass air system would be better for that since it measures actual airflow. Other wise the speed density is nice for a stock motor becaus it is less messy.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, I am not the expert, my builder is........and he has Speed Density on everything he builds, including mine. Said they (he) has learned a lot in the 10 years he has been modifying these things to make the Speed Density a better choice overall then MAF. Heck, he has a full on 434 ci small block in his Jaguar show/street car that is rowdy, as is my 406 (just not as rowdy as his!). Both are Speed Density.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

7. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Dont get me wrong you can use the speed density system. The problem is it runs off of preprogramed tables so it doesnt offer the range of flexibility the mass air does when modifying. If you reprogram the prom you will be fine. It is just less forgiving that is all.