Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know where I can get the bolt that holds the shifter onto the txfr case?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wy4tt, May 27, 2005.

1. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

It's a big ole bolt that appears to be hard to find. Local places haven't had one. Can you order them online?

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Dont laugh but I go to my local John Deere place for all my bolts/screws etc... Replaced probably close to every fastner on the K5 and thats where I got em all.. :grin: Heck they even had bolts big enough to use for my body mounts with the lift!

Just a thought even though I dont have a clue where your at..

Brandy

3. Jew Pimpin

Jew Pimpin Registered Member

old 33 auto sales and salvage, they have been able to help me a few times with some hard to find items. barry 1-866-333-6737

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Np205??

If you mean the bolt that the shifter pivots on in a NP205 T-case adapter,its a special shouldered bolt that is probably obsolete and discontinued.--you'd have to have a machine shop make one for you--.they are a weak design and break often at the "shoulder"...

.Mine broke off in the adapter,I ended up drilling it out and enlarged the hole from the oem 7/16" thread to a 1/2" x 13 thread,and found some torrington needle bearings I had hanging around that fit in the shifter good to "bush" it down to 1/2"...(I dont think the factory bushings are available anymore either)..had to find just the right length 1/2" bolt and a few washers to get it to fit tight enough not to be sloppy,yet not too stiff either...I used a grade 8 bolt.,but a 1/2" stud the right length with a nylock nut would have worked just as well......it hasn't broke since,but I feel it should have a brace under the bolt head to keep it from bending the bolt and encouraging it to snap off...would not be hard to fab one up.. :crazy:

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

GM part number for at least '85-88 is 14009313

This is assuming you are talking about a 205.

There are a couple of different styles, I can't recall if the bolts are interchangeable or not. This is the "greasable" style bolt.

The wave washer is not listed in the GM parts manual, gmpartsdirect.com is where I check/get anything I HAVE to get form GM. That part number still shows as valid, but is almost $10 even before S&H.

6. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Yes, NP205

thanks for the info guys. I'm going down to see the guy who reworked the 205 for me to see what he has lying around. He might have an extra. I'm also going to have to cut the front of the shift hole on the tunnel to get to 4L as well. It won't quite make it as is. She's coming together now though! only little things to fix (that take longer than the hard stuff).

Thanks again guys. Great info you've provided.

Last edited: May 31, 2005