Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone live in or near Las Vegas?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gold Rush, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

We are thinking about going to Vegas for a vacation at the end of this month. I've also thought about moving there. I might spend some of our time there checking job possibilities and housing out. Any suggestions? What parts of Vegas to stay away from (high crime, etc.). What kind of wheelin is out there and how far to travel to good rock crawlin?

Looking for general info.
    David

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i live in vegas, it's not bad, if i were to move here i'd wanna stay away from north las vegas, henderson is really nice i would like to live there. i live on the east side of the valley and it's nice, 1 acre lots but that's only because they're old. 1 acre is hard to come by any place else unless you're on the way north end of town then you're actually in county property. summerlin on the west side is nice too. for wheelin there's a mud bog in henderson that's always muddy and there's tons of desert, i don't do a lot of crawling but cedar city is like 1.5 hrs away and it's an awesome weekend wheelin trip for rock junkies, ARCA went there. like i said, LOTS of desert to wheel, we got sand too. any other questions feel free to ask.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If you happen to be interested in the Arizona side of the area, I've got a house in Kingman (100 miles from the strip) I'll cut you a good deal on. Pretty good job market/cost of living, and a pretty quiet town - if you have any interest, let me know!!

4. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I turn wrenches for a living and have been checking the newspaper online there for a couple days. There seems to be lots of repair shops for sale. What is the NW Las Vegas area like? Saw a shop for sale there that I might be interested in. What are the local shop repair rates for a general repair shop?
    I'm going to book a 4 day/ 3 night stay at the Sahara for probably the first week in April. We were going to go at the end of the month but had a scheduling conflict. We may stay a little longer if it looks interesting enough for us to consider moving there. We want to move but not sure where to. NO MORE COLD WEATHER. We have lived in the midwest and live about 2 hours from the Rubicon now. It just costs to much to live here anymore.

David

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you are interested in moving down this way. I can talk to my brother.. He is a mech.. Rent and property is cheaper down here.. That is wy I moved out of the bay area....Dan

6. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

We are considering several areas. Hadn't considered Hollister because of wages. I just assumed that wages there would not be high enough to cover our expenses. Ask your brother what the shop rates are there and how much a mechanic with 12 years experience should expect to pay. The shop rates here are $90 per hour at our general repair shop.

David

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I know one shop we use for our company trucks is $85.00 a hour....Dan

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm going to shift this over into non 4x4. Little off topic for 4x4.