Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone looking for a cheap tire solution??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Jan 19, 2004.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a set on my DD. Be prepared. The mud tires are LOUD!!!!!

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I thought retreads weren't DOT approved except for rear semi tires and their trailers. Please correct me if I am wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought retreads weren't DOT approved except for rear semi tires and their trailers. Please correct me if I am wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. Retreads can be used legally on nearly any vehicle, steer tires on semis INCLUDED.

Only application I know of that they're not allowed is PASSENGER BUS tires in the front for the steer tires.

Mine have DOT right on the side and a number making them DOT legal.

These tires are just as good of quality as any and I expect to get 25,000 miles out of one set before they're worn out. I'd say that's pretty good for a mud tread tire that costs $250 to your door for a whole set.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

. Retreads can be used legally on nearly any vehicle, steer tires on semis INCLUDED.

[/ QUOTE ]
    In california it is illegal to run caps on the front steering axle.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I doubt it, but it's certainly possible.

7. rick88blaze

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. Retreads can be used legally on nearly any vehicle, steer tires on semis INCLUDED.

Only application I know of that they're not allowed is PASSENGER BUS tires in the front for the steer tires.

Mine have DOT right on the side and a number making them DOT legal.

These tires are just as good of quality as any and I expect to get 25,000 miles out of one set before they're worn out. I'd say that's pretty good for a mud tread tire that costs $250 to your door for a whole set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected, and I apologize. I just got off the phone with the Illinois DOT office. The state trooper I talked to said that you are correct. He said that it's always been that way there. When I worked at a garage in High School there in Illinois, our boss wouldn't let us put a retread on the front of any trucks that came through there. He said it was illegal.

Here is the reference for it. It's in the Federal Regulation 39375 paragraph E.

I guess it's a state to state thing as to whether you can run retreads on the front, some state's have more common sense than others as far as what they let a truck run on the front axle.

Rick

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess it's a state to state thing as to whether you can run retreads on the front, some state's have more common sense than others as far as what they let a truck run on the front axle.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What is this suposed to mean? There is nothing inhearently wrong w/ recapped tires. Infact, most of the tires on large commerical and millitary aircraft are recaps.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this suposed to mean? There is nothing inhearently wrong w/ recapped tires. Infact, most of the tires on large commerical and millitary aircraft are recaps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I've had mine on my DD for 12,000 miles. No issues at all. Great tires for the price.

10. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

. Retreads can be used legally on nearly any vehicle, steer tires on semis INCLUDED.

[/ QUOTE ]
    In california it is illegal to run caps on the front steering axle.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct.. in California it is illegal to run retreads on front semi axles... completed my Commercial License requirements last year and that is a BIG no-no here in Cali..

11. rick88blaze

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know that aircraft tires can be and usually are recaps. but how much are they used? The only time they see real stress, other than the weight of the aircraft, is when they land. And don't bring up the weight factor, I have an idea as to how much an aircraft can weigh. I've been putting fuel on them for the last 9 years. Jet fuel weighs in at about 6.7 pounds to a gallon. 6000 gallons is about 40K pounds and most wide body jets hold well over 15K gallons when full, our Air Force tankers can hold around 30K gallons.

I'm just saying that if I drove an 80K pound semi, I wouldn't want retreads on the front of it. When I was looking for the information about Illinois' law on retreads I called a trucking company in my home town in Illinois and talked to the mechanic. We both agreed that we would neither one run retreads on the steering axle. There is one company back home whose owner is so tight with his money he squeaks when he walks. He won't even go cheap on his trucks front tires by buying retreads.

Rick

12. rick88blaze

[ QUOTE ]
    Exactly. I've had mine on my DD for 12,000 miles. No issues at all. Great tires for the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all fine and dandy, but personally, I wouldn't put recaps on my DD. Simply because I've seen too many fail. A lot of the farmers back home used to use them on their farm trucks. A lot of them came into the garage I worked at with retreads that maybe had 1000 miles on them, and the tread peeled off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I don't doubt that in the last 10 to 15 years tire retreading hasn't improved quite a bit. Until I can actually inspect a set up close that have lasted a long time, I won't run them on my DD. That's my opinion. Take it or leave it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Retreaded tires don't usually fail because they're retreaded. They fail because some idiot doesn't know how to check his tire pressure.

It's an accepted practice for a semi driver to check his tire pressure with a stick. That's total crap, and that's why tires fail.

Even a new tire will fail if it's overloaded for how much pressure is in it.

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm just saying that if I drove an 80K pound semi, I wouldn't want retreads on the front of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't either. We have caps blow all the time on our trucks and it is usually the tire caper's fault when it happens, not usually because of tire pressure. A couple of years ago we had a brand new front bridgestone blow on the steering axle of one of our trucks and luckely it was on the right side and sent the truck and trailers into a ditch instead of to the left and through the oleanders. I wouldn't run caps on a steering axle because there is just too much liability involved to save what? a 100 bucks a tire. It isn't worth it. It is very easy for a blown front steering tire to send a truck out of control in the right circumstances. My dad seems to think that the law is federal and I hope it is.

As far as cars and light trucks, that is a different story because there is much less weight involved but I still wouldn't run them just because it would be on the back of my mind that one could peel a cap anytime.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i wouldnt be to worried bout it...my dads had the same recaps on his truck for about 15 years..those things wear like steel, of course they need replacing badly now, but man those things lasted! hes ganna pickup a set of one of these tires for it next..new tires are expensive!! speacially those damn BFG at's..like 150 a tire for those damn things..and just in the small stock size

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    new tires are expensive!! speacially those damn BFG at's..like 150 a tire for those damn things..and just in the small stock size

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I have been looking at tire options for my future second DD blazer and when I saw the price of the BFG M/T's I was relieved how cheap they seemed. I guess I have been buying interco tires too long. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea lol..when i biuld my truck up...i wanan be able to run 36" swampers..and i know thats ganna take some savin!!

18. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

here I was all excited, I go to the site and the max size in 15" rim is 33x10.5...bleh

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    here I was all excited, I go to the site and the max size in 15" rim is 33x10.5...bleh

[/ QUOTE ]

They sell 33x12.50s now

Soon, they're going to offer 35x12.50R15s and 16.5s as well as 37x12.50x16.5s. They're working on it right now.

20. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Come with a two-year or 24,000
    > >mile workmanship and material warranty.

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 30 Sep 2003 22:04:15.0251 (UTC) FILETIME=[C98C6630:01C3879E]

dear Robert,

Sorry, I think I sent to you the wrong e-mail. As to your question.
    Thirty-five inch tires $85 to $90 plus shipping and handling. Thirty-seven
    inch tires $105 to $125 plus shipping and handling. I will have a delivery
    date pretty soon on these molds. Thanks for your inquiry.

Rick
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: "Rick Hawkins" <hawkins@gwtc.net>
    Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 3:49 PM
    Subject: Re: Inquiry From Web Site!

Here are a couple of clips from e-mails with Hi Tech Retreading when I was researching their tires. I ended up scoring a free set of 34x10.5 tires with 50% tread. so I haven't run the Hi Tech tires yet. But when these tires run out I will be definatly getting a set.

When reserching them I could not find a single "bad" post about their tires. There were alot of people who made the general statement about retreads being bad, but everyone who owned the Hi Tech tires raved about them. There were even several posts about not bothering to balance them because they were so true, most peoples tires required little or no weight. Plus how could you go wrong with a 25,000 mile warranty on a tire that cheep.