Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone made their own steering box support?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91K5, May 21, 2002.

1. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I've been looking at the frame support kits for the steering boxes and dont think it would be too hard to build my own, especially since they're around 50-100 bucks for a peice of metal. Anyone made their own and have any pictures of it?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I looked seriously at doing it myself. The angles are funky to hit the crossmember in the right spot. While I'm pretty handy thats a fairly intricate peice to make in my garage. If I had access to a machine shopb with a hydrolic brake and a plasma cutter it could have done it. Still would have taken half a day to make the first. After thinking about the time it would take ( I got a job, house 2 kids, a dog, cat and wife) my time value exceeded the $100 that it cost to my door for a VERY well built peice.

3. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

I asked the same question when I was new to my truck and was told by several people "don't do it it's not worth the time." Looking at pics from installs I didn't really know what I was looking at and didn't pursue the project.

However in the last couple of days I've been looking into it again now that I'm a little bit more familiar with the underbelly of the beast - and I think I'm going to do it.

I agree with Grim if you aren't a fabricator or know someone who is, it probably isn't worth the trouble to do it in your garage with your chop saw and your welder. However, if you work in a shop I'd say go for it. You'll need at least a brake, a plasma cutter/OA torch, and a welder to make it worth your time. If you're missing one or more, it isn't worth it.
    I'll let you know how I make out.

4. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses. My dad's works for a company that does metal fabrication so getting one built is easy, I just didnt know where to start with designing one. Be sure to let me know if you successfully build one 78Jimmyish, I'd appreciate it a lot.

5. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

my buddy jimmyjack (arizona trail blazers) made his own and it turned out really good.Go ask him,or post in az trail blazers he can help you out don

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I hear grim on this one. I got one for really cheap and thought about selling it and making my own. NO NO NO. the angles are designed really well and I figured out there's just some things that are better to buy.

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I built one out of a steel flat brace. You can pull over any electrical line truck and ask for one. You hafta grind off the galvanized finish. I'm not sure how well it works bcos my p/s pump has an internal leak so it's kind of slow but maybe this weekend I'll fix that and let you know. It's not as beefy as the ORD model but I know it's not hurting anyhting.

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Elaborate on this electrical line truck thing here. I am interested in a cheaper brace, but I am not sure what you mean.

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Sorry, that was a pretty ugly word wasn't it!! I work for an electric utility co. I almost called it a 2 man material handler! Find an electric company line truck or bucket truck. Ask them for a steel flat brace(crossarm brace). We don't use them very often and we usually remove them in favor of wood braces. They will probably give you one or two. Basically, I measured, bent, re measured and rebent while laying on my back under the truck. I welded two steel sleeves in line with the bolt holes to a short piece of the brace, then welded the long piece and bolted it all together. I know it's nowhere near the strength of the ORD but it works. And it's really ugly. I'm glad its under the truck!

10. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna make my own by this summer.I have access to lathe,torch,hydraulic press,bench drill etc. so it wouldn't be a problem at all.
    And if I wanted the ORD brace,I would have to order it over seas,and after s&h,taxes and customs,it would cost me allmost twice as what you guys pay of it.