Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone make a sound bar that can be attached to a rollbar for fullsize?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 74k5inVA, Oct 8, 2002.

1. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i know that jeep makes them, i saw in jcwhitney that there is an adjustable one that mounts to roofs, but not rollbars, anybody ever try and make one? can you give me some pointers. I dont have the cage yet, but i am pretty sure i can design it to include an overhead area to hold speakers? any ideas on this?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Anything's possible..... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I had an idea like that for mounting some "rear fill" speakers....and maybe a few up near the windshield frame as extra CB speakers....my truck is SO loud, the stock CB speaker is almost useless.

The fun part will be fishing the wires up the cage so that they are "hidden". I'd start with a piece of metal fish tape, and then pull the actual wires through once all the welding is completed. It would be a bummer to get everything done and find out the wires got melted and shorted-out from the welding step! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

yeah that would suck! what kind of demensions should i be measuring. obviously the width of the truck, but lets say that i want to hang from the outside in two tens, two 5.5 inchers, and 2 1"inch high range i guess. do i need to make each compartment separate? how much air space for each speaker? can i have different boxes put together in a bigger box so that the outside is smooth? so many questions? would it not be easier to just buy one for a jeep and build the brackets for it?

4. Greg72

You want 10's in a rollbar enclosure....!!!???? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I think that's going to be weird....it'll take a LOT of space to do it, and my guess is that you'll be banging your head on it all the time. I'd suggest putting subs somewhere else (like in the sidepanels) and leaving the rollbar mount for the smaller speakers.

That will also solve the next issue of isolating the speakers....YES, if you put subs in the same enclosure with mids and tweeters, you will want to make sure they are "sealed back" drivers or build them into an isolated compartment in the box. The pressure of the subwoofer, will actually "push" the other speakers and cause them to produce sounds that are not supposed to be there.

A "mids & tweeters" rollbar system will be a lot smaller too...so you are less likely to find it in the way, and maybe you won't bash your head on it as much! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

FYI DuneRunner has a speaker bar attachted to his rollbar. Send him a PM on where he got it. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

thanks greg, that will be helpful since i have really bad shocks and bang my head all the time!

7. Greg72

Hee Hee Hee.....! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am paranoid about hitting my head ever since I decided to "shave" it. There's nothing more embarrassing than going to work with a bunch of bruises and cuts all over my head after a weekend of wrenching!!!!

I miss the padding and concealment properties of my former hair! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

lol.... I had to shave mine too becuase i got my beautiful hair caught in the creeper wheel /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Did that once 74 ;-) No hair now though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif