Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone make Heavy duty shackles for rear shackle flip?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by juanblzer, Mar 10, 2002.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

My rear shackles on the shackle flip side (ORD) are pretty weak (or at least they look like it). One of them is now bent following the hardest trail I've ever been on.
    Does anyone make heavy duty rear shackles? The stock ones are pretty flimsy. Perhaps Hill or MOO or ORD?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    ActuallyI believe "steel horse" makes a set.They are designed for 2-4" lowering shackles,but since "we" flipped the shackles they would lift the rear.Summit Racing carries them along with J.C. Whitney....about $50 bucks.So how's is the project going?Mike

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll second that. That's what I'm using and my friends have used for homeade shackle flips.

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I haven't torn down those springs yet. It's proffesional crastination I guess. I'm waiting to install them until I do the bob job on the rear (summertime). I had one shackle and I used one of your shackles after I sold the revolvers. Yesterday I ran one of the toughest trails (a 5) I've ever been on and bent one of them inboard. It is kinda scary. My fab guy said he could custom make some for about 150bucks. Which one summit or steelhorse would you guys go with?

5. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

If anyone goes with the lowering shackles, be sure to "box" them. Just ask Keith or Depdog what happens if you dont...

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Seems to me the easiest way to go, and cheapest too, would be to get another set of stock shackles. Reinforce them if you have to. They are stronger than they appear. Remember, they can hold up a loaded one ton.

7. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Juan, I just remembered.The good heavy duty shackles are made by "Desert Steel",and are $50 pair.They are considerably stronger than stock.But they are designed for lowering,so you can't go to the shop and ask for lifted shackles.I'm sure that Summit racing and 4Wheel parts along with Desert Rat carries them.Mike

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

That is what I am planning to do. I am going to use some .188 flat plate and box the center section. I think that should hold up well. After mine are done I might make up a few sets of them to sell.