Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone make homemade body lift ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Feb 8, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

some kind of steel pipe for the bolt sleeves, and pieces of steel for spacers, or ?

2. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

dont make one, itll be better to buy a suspension lift at any rate. i believe it is superlift that is offering a 2" lift for $99. body lifts only work to, in my eye, clear a bigger engine. you would also have to extend the transmission and t-case shifters to compensate, also the brakelines and several other things. even cheaper would be to make blocks out of 6ga. steel to use as poormans lift blocks on the axle, if you build it yourself. 3" is as high as i would go this way. but the best deal is to buy a lift from a company. they take alot of the work out of lifting.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I know a race team that built their own. They used solid chrome moly tubing, drilled out the holes for the bolts. They only went with 1" lift.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I had one made YEARS ago. The guy used solid round stock and drilled out the center for the bolts. That was almost 15 yrs ago and the BL is still intact last time I seen my old Cherokee.

I really wouldnt recommend it tho. I only had mine made because I couldnt find a BL for a F/S Cherokee, and I didnt realize that you can buy just the blocks from some shops.

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Body lifts are really not an area where you want to go cheap and do it yourself. Just bite the bullet and buy a kit. This way you will have the right parts. There is more to it than just putting in some spacers. Just think of all the stuff that goes from the body to the frame like lincage and stuff.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have to disagree with most, I bought my kit for the Jeep Wagoneer and it came missing 4 blocks and I had to buy them seperate.
    And all I got was 10 plastic blocks and 10 grade 8 bolts that were smaller than what I had.
    I had to get bigger bolts that still fit.
    Now I am working on a K5 body lift and I am using aluminum solid 3 inch diameter and I am drilling them for the bolt.
    up to 2" long it will cost you less than a kit and you will have aluminum which is stronger and will not melt.
    3" and you brake even.
    Just don't use Hokey pucks or tube and you should be fine, use aluminum or steel solid and drill them.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I agree w/ you. Nothing special about a spacer. You can also buy the plastic that most body lifts are made of in stick form and cut it yourself.

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Get ahold of Muddytazz I do believe they are making some for his dads Burb out of aluminum.