Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone make jerky?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dogdaysunrise, Dec 14, 2005.

1. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I think im going to try making some beef jerky this weekend. I have been reading about doing it in the oven. Anyone ever try this? What did you use as a drying pan? How did it turn out?

2. gauder

gauder Banned

I've done it, but I use a food dehydrator.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Use a food dehydrator if you can get your hands on one. The game jerky we make never tastes as good when we make it in the oven.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I made some in the oven several times.......dang good..............expensive though!

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Just put it on cookie sheets set the oven on the lowest setting and close the door 3/4 of the way. Turn it every couple hours untill You get the desired texture Your looking for.

6. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Do you have an electric oven, natural gas oven or a propane oven?

Electric oven works great, lowest setting drape your meat over the runners in the racks and give it 6-15 hours depending on how thick its cut.

Gas or propane ovens, dont waste your money on the meat, these ovens are too hot in my experience.

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Well, I've never made it in an oven, but I tried some that was and I thought it tasted like poo poo.. but that may not be a result of the oven.

I don't care for the dehydrator jerky either.

Before I would put it in the oven, I would smoke it first, if I were you. Smoke.... not cook.

Example: When we smoke our sausage & Jerky, it's hung in a "smokehouse". Under the hangers we have a small metal bucket that we put bark and wood chips and sawdust, lots of swadust (from the tree, not 2x4's .. LOL) in. It has a few air holes on the botom, and a cover over the top that does not completely close it off. The fire is lit, and it smokes up the room. It does nothing to raise the temp, just smokes it up real good. All of the rest of the curring is done by dry air, and fans for air movement. When the meat is "dried out" it's done. Fans are not needed, but they make it go a bit quicker. I believe the spices help wick a bit of the moisture up to the surface of the meat to help with drying. Our smokehouse is a limestone building with walls about 1.5' thick. The roof is just normal roofing tin.

So... I never really understood the oven method. I can't see how it couldn't help but cook it.. and to me.. that's a totally different taste, and isn't how "real" jerky is made. If you think about it, real jerky is pretty scarry. Hang some raw meat in a room, and come back when it's dry, and eat it. :crazy: But it works.

If there is a lot of rain durring the curring process (several days worth, or more), it's possible for the sausage/jerky to get a bit of white spotting on it. This is a surface mold that happens in the real world, and not in Government regulated facilites... who have perfect conditions. Taking a clean rag with a bit of white vinager and brushing it across the spots will get rid of them, without ruining the meat.

So.. how to mimic that in an oven, I don't have a clue. Unless you don't use heat, and it has a way to circulate the air.... after you've smoked it for a little while. Good luck :thumb:

8. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

My wife watches a cooking show called GOOD EATS. They used air conditioner filters and a 20" box fan. They said the trick is to dry it not cook it. They laid the thin strips out on 3 filters. Then stacked then and put a fourth one on top. Then they used bungie cords to hold them on the fan. I think they said to run the fan for 8-12 hours. I think we still have the show recorded if you need more details.

9. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

saw that show and apparently the secret to good jerky is using cold air to dry as opposed to warm air.

10. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i make "jerky" every couple of days or so. :D ...........................................................couldn't resist.

11. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i have made jerky for years, the cotton air filters ($0.89) on a fan is the best way to go. if that isnt an option, use a cooler setting on a food dehydrator. are u looking for a recipe?

my mom used to make it in the oven, turned out very good. but it does take a little trial and error to get the right thickness and attention. just flip the meat over every couple hours. she used a measureing cup(metal) to keep the stove cracked open a bit.

12. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have tried it in the oven (thats how my Dad always did it) and a food dehydrator. The oven is defintely more work, and messier. The brine is also an experiment trying to find a good recipie that isn't too salty. I made several different mixes, and wrote down all the ingredients in each then kept the ones I like from all the small trial batches.

Good Luck, and I'll PM my addy to ya if you have too much jerky:waytogo:

13. gauder

gauder Banned

Post up your recipes. I'll post my up when I dig it out.

14. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

This is what they used on Good Eats:

3/4 cup Soy Sauce

3/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce

1 tsp Honey

1 tsp Liquid Smoke

The Honey is to cut the salt level from the two sauces.

15. dogdaysunrise

I wouldnt mind if you could find it. Im curious about doing it that way.

I have been reading up on the internet, and most people are saying the oven. I think Im going to try a couple of diffrent methods and see how she goes. Im gonna play with some recepies also. I think im going to make a smoker this weekend too... I got a long weekend and I will require something to kill time.

16. dogdaysunrise

• 2/3 cup Worcestershire Sauce
    • 2/3 cup Soy Sauce
    • 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper (coarse is best)
    • 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder (not a salt mix!)
    • 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder (not a salt mix!)
    • 1 Tablespoon Salt (Adjust to suit your taste - The Soy Sauce provides a salty taste too.)
    • 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke (OPTIONAL, but DELICIOUS! Not advised if you will be using a smoker, the smoke flavor gets too strong.)
    This is the one I want to try.

17. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I have made much jerky over the years. But I have always used a smoker. It's the ONLY way to go if you ask me. I tried a new recipe last time. The flavor was outstanding, but it was waaaay too salty. The brine recipe is as follows:

1/3 C. Sugar
    1/3 C. Non-Iodized Salt
    2 C. Soy sauce
    1 C. water
    1 C. apple wine
    1/2 tsp. garlic salt
    1/2 tsp. onion salt
    1 Tbsp. coarse ground pepper.

I didn't have apple wine so I used cider instead. I slice the meat with the grain and about 3/8" thick, I prefer it thicker. I let it sit in the brine for about 24 hours. Then I lay it out on the smoker racks and let it air/drip dry 4-5 hours. Then into the smoker for about 12-16 hours.

As I said before, it turned out waay too salty. Next time I am going to use 1 /3 C. brown sugar instead of the salt, I like a bit more sweetness in my jerky anyway. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

FWIW, I REALLY like the flavor and texture of the Pacific Gold Original jerky that costco sells. I hope I can develop a recipe that will approximate that good stuff.

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

2 cup Yoshidas teriaki sauce
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    1 tble spoon each Kosher salt, ground pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
    1/4 cup liquid smoke
    Optional is crushed red pepper

19. dogdaysunrise

mmm keep em coming! this is gonna be a yummy weekend.

20. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

What did he do with it after the 8-12 hours?