Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone make their own shackles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by howdiy, Mar 26, 2007.

1. howdiy

howdiy 1/2 ton status

They seem pretty easy to make. Just some 1/4inch steel from lowes and a drill press to make them.

Also do you guys just get your springs from like discount auto? I'm doing a 52" front swap with 88-98 springs in the rear.

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I made my own. bought a 4' stick of 3/8x2" steel bar stock, cut on the chop saw, tack welded all 4 together (at the corners). Drilled the holes on a drill press. I then used a bolt through each of the holes, with a 2" OD washer on each side of each end. Tightened the nut/bolt down, and used a grinder to round the ends, using the big washer as a guide. Because I tacked near the corners, rounding the ends cut off the welds. Worked great, took a couple hours total time (if that). Hung 'em, primed, painted. .. I also did 56" springs up front, Got mine for one of the parts trucks in the yard. Same with my rear springs.

Paint drying
    [​IMG]

Installed
    [​IMG]

3. howdiy

howdiy 1/2 ton status

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

My 56" springs came from my other truck, and the 52"s came from the rear into the front. I'm cheap ;)

Yeah, front shackles are easy. I welded 1/4" spacers into the 3/8" strap -- 1/4" seems a bit thin -- but you could do washers if you don't wanna weld. Kert makes some for this very purpose.

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/new-front-shackles-painted-1.JPG

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/new-front-shackles-painted-2.JPG

At some point I'm gonna weld a piece of tube across them, towards the bottom, like this pic I stole from somebody here:

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/crossed shackles.jpg

-- A

5. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

X's 3 on the 3/8". The 1/4" shackles you see avertised are for those pesky little heeps. -Eric

6. Snowman1000

Snowman1000 1/2 ton status

You can make those they dont have to be hardened or anything someone I was talking was replacing his and said that they had to be hardened seems straitforward might have to make myself a pair.

7. howdiy

howdiy 1/2 ton status

Not cheap. What sucks is I don't have any springs that arent in use :( So I'll have to buy them. Should I tryand get GM ones? I know on cars alot of the aftermarket leaf springs are way stiffer than stock.

I didn't realise that I needed to weld spacers. Good thing I asked here. I'll probally weld that bar connecting them also.

1/4 inch was just an estimate. I'll make sure to get 3/8

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, could do junkyard, or yeah, aftermarket's prolly okay. Donno 'bout stiffness; I ended up removing leaves from my 56's (donor was a 1-ton with 8- or 9-leaf packs) and adding one to the front 52's. :donno:

Don't HAVE to weld the spacer, just slicker than putting a spacer on, or god forbid, stacking washers. The crossbar is added insurance.

-- A

9. howdiy

howdiy 1/2 ton status

I'll probally just take the springs also then when I get my 14BFF

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member