Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone make their own wine???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by poinzey, Nov 28, 2005.

1. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

I've got a ton of pears off the tree out back and came up with the "brilliant" idea to make my own pear wine. Anyone done this before and have any tips or things to watch out for?
    TIA
    Tony

2. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

back in the day a few of my friends made their own wines and as I understand it is very simple to make a batch that will get you drunk and taste like monkey butt :D . They would always tell me how good their latest batch as if they were some type of connisueir but the pruno you can get in the local county jail was easier to stomach.

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Call me zealously religious, but I think wine of all alcoholic beverages is the drink of Satan and should be avoided at all costs.

4. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

But doesnt red wine represnt the blood of Christ?

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i stick to the pre made stuff.... can the pears and sell them.. use the profits to go buy high en d wine an djack daniels... faster in the long run...
    Grant

6. dogdaysunrise

My dad made his own wine all the time. I remember it stinking like hell when it was formenting, but mmmm was it ever good when it was done. I can't remember the exact process but I know he had to transfer it from one jug, to a vacuum sealed jug for formenting, and it would sit for about 6 weeks.

7. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

I won't go that far because a lot seems to depend on the individual. That being said my capacity for breaking laws, doing drugs, hurting people, absolute stupidity, immorality, and just being an all around scumbag waste of space was definately facilitated and fueled by alcohol. But that was in conjunction with lack of character, weak will, tweaker mentality, depression, no spiritual connection, and surrouding myself with other losers. I absolutely reject the idea of alcoholism being a disease, we make our own choices and suffer or enjoy the consequences but life sure would have been easier for me if I had abstained from alcohol :( . Oh well, it definately provided me with a multitude of foocked up stories to tell :haha: .

8. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Lol, yea, I definately don't drink like in my younger days. This will probably end up being more for savoring or like sitting in front of the fire on a hopefully cold day next year. Since I'm going to have to buy the canning supplies anyway for the preserves, I figure I may as well try it. I mean, really, if i can make 25 bottles of some good sweet pear wine that will go great with cheese and fruit, for under $3 a bottle, shoot that'll last me at least 6-9 months and still give away almost half of it. :D

9. dogdaysunrise

Then you can get fancy labels made that say your name as the winery :D

10. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Just in case anyone is curious, I think I'll try the sweet recipe from here:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/bradford.asp

and contact these guys for supplies:

http://thebeeressentials.com/ , as well as talk to a few of the local guys at the liquor store to see about local sources.

Since this will be my first time at this, I won't know the full results for about 9 months.:doah:

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'd call you something else...

Making your own wine sounds interesting. I would try it, if I had the ambition or means. Do it and let us know how it turns out. Try making some corn "wine" while you're at it :waytogo:

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Me and Jesus once got tossed on WT and Coke and went down to the senior citizen center and listened to stories about WWII. Jesus combed this one ladies hair. It looked great!

13. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

RJ, you should start with a bushel of grapes for every 3-4 bushels of pears you have... a bushel is a lot, so make sure you have enough pears to do the wine making. You can pretty much expect about a gallon of usable wine per bushel of fruit, and since if there are no grapes, it technically woudn't be wine, I suggest you add them. Follow the links above, I've read them all and found them to be quite useful. I actually have a bunch of grape vines growing in my back yard, and will likely get to make my first wine in about 2 years. My grandparents make brandy with their grapes, which basically entails making wine, then distilling it...

14. Resurrection_Joe

I am making no wine, I am only making bad jokes

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have not made my own wine but I have made my own beer. The process is the same, the yeast is different and you obviously do not carbonate the wine as you would beer. It is quite easy. As far as having to have grapes for it to be called wine.

wine (wīn)
    n.

1. A beverage made of the fermented juice of any of various kinds of grapes, usually containing from 10 to 15 percent alcohol by volume.
    2. A beverage made of the fermented juice of any of various other fruits or plants.

Wine and beer are fermented then consumed. Liquor is fermented then distilled then consumed generally after an aging process.

Just my .02

Ira

16. PhoenixZorn

Here's a good one for you boys that are good with a soldering torch....

1. Buy a case of your favorite ****ty beer... the cheapest you can find... 30 packs work even better.

2. Build a Reflux Still using a 5 gallon steel container as the base, and some copper tubing... search the web for "reflux still" for specific instructions...

3. Add case of beer to still and start heating... make sure your propane tank is full when you start or you'll screw yourself...

4. Get the beer to a rolling boil, then turn the heat down ever so slightly so it just simmers and keeps the pressure up in the still.

5. Simmer for 6 hours, then remove from heat source and allow to cool to room temperature.

6. Pour yourself a glass of 90%+ pure grain alcohol and enjoy!!!

17. PhoenixZorn

Woops... my bad... saw your name somewhere and it just stuck...

Poinzey, that post was for you...

18. Resurrection_Joe

You think of me 'cause you love me :laugh:

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd love to make home made wine... That would be cool... I haven't had wine in months... Come to think of it, I think the wine we have isn't even in the fridge.

20. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Lol, I'm going to shoot for about 10-12% alcohol, so I don't think RJ would take to it well. Now Phoenix's suggestions sounds right up RJ's alley, should really help the creative juices start flowing(for about 5 mins:D ).