Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone mod their 8274?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Feb 5, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im thinking of modding my 8274 while I rebuild it. Thinkin' about changing the spool diameter (smaller) and length (longer). Some english guy did it on this site...

http://www.lrenthusiastforum.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=291754&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=8&vc=1

anyone done anything like this? main reason for doing so is so that for an equal length of rope, less wraps will be on the drum and therefore more pulling power will be left during pulls where not much of the rope is out. I guess you lose something like 12% of your pulling power per wrap. Anyway, any thoughts?

j

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The 8274 has all the pulling power you could ever need. If it doesn't, double line it, and it will, but I've pulled out 6,500 lb trucks on a single line with 20' of cable off the drum.

My first use of an 8274 sold me. This is the absolute king of electric winches......forget the rating.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

One of the guys in my club has made his a wide drum. He might have some info on his web page. http://webpages.charter.net/tt4wd/tillbuilt/tillbuilt.html

I would leave the diameter alone. The smaller the diameter the more stress on the cable the easier it is to break. Cables will fail where kinked and at the drum in most cases. The smaller the drum the easier it will be to break. Double line it.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'll second leaving the Diameter alone. The bending load on the tube could get quite large when the cable is at the middle of a widened drum. Using a smaller tube would lower the load at which it fails. A K5 is going to stress that tube a LOT more than one of those aluminum bodied LR's. Going wider would be a good reason to go with a larger OD tube.

Would like to see what that high strength main shaft looks like though. The disc brake is cool.

5. jekbrown

Im using synthetic rope, no cable here...

j

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Doesn't matter, a bending load is a bending load regardless of what transmitted it.

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I think the rope has more resistence to breakage tho and won't snap back and put a hole in your eye like a cable will but you sacrifice some length

8. jekbrown

i was responding to the comment on steel rope kinks.

At any rate, I'm not sure how thick the steel in on the stock drum, but I don't see any reason why heavier wall tube and a slightly small drum wouldn't work. It isn't very long, I could use 0.375" wall DOM, Im sure it'd be plenty resistant to bending. I'd like my spool to be 3/4" or so narrower than the stock one, with the added length that'd give me about 2 full wraps before the diameter reached the same thickness as the stock one. I know the 8274 is supposed to be a strong puller, but you lose 12% of your power, supposedly, for every added layer of rope on the drum.

anyway, thanks for the comments, all are appreciated,

j

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't worry about 1 or 2 wraps of cable. Once you use your winch you'll realize it never spools the way it's supposed to anyway.