Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Mount Your Spare Tire On The Top?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by behemoth, Jan 2, 2002.

1. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I want my spare tire out of my truck in a bad way! I'm not real keen on the idea of using a swing out carrier or fabricating some sort of bumper mounted carrier - SO - has anyone used a roof rack setup? Drilling holes in my top doesn't sound viable either, but I may have to. It looks like I may need to put a rack of some sort then a cargo basket up there. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks!

Mike

behemoth K5
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Esteban does ........... he has a Confer roof rack ....... nice units from what I hear ........ may get one myself.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

yeap Esteban has one...<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Esteban's Webshots Albums</a> he used it for his 33's but I don't think he wants to hoist his 37" up there[​IMG]

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Riz and Jeremy are right. I have one that I love. It's the Con-Ferr one and it's held up pretty good. I had my 33 mounted up there and it was pretty easy to get up and down, but now with the 37's I don't think I'll be lugging that beast up there. Only thing I found bad about it was that you get a lot of wind drag, but nothing is ever perfect. And about drilling holes in the roof, I had the rack mounted up there a few years ago and then removed it to paint it. Well it took 3 years to do that and in the mean time I patched up the holes with fiberglass bondo and never even knew where the holes where. I couldn't even find them when I put the rack back on a couple of months ago. So if you end up not liking it just remove it and fill the holes.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

5. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

...is "Confer" a brand name? Do they have a web site? Distrubutor?

behemoth K5

6. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I have seen a roof rack on a k5 in my area that was mounted to the windoe moulding in his canopy i havent seen it parked anywhere to get a good look at it only going down the highway like you i dont want to drill into my realy nice slider canopy. =P

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

4WPW carries Con-Ferr products

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.conferr.com>Con-Ferr website.</a>

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

9. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I'm running 36 super swampers now. I have a roof rack built by a company called mountaineer campers in phoenix. I had a 33x12.50 16.5 Mud Rover when I ran 33s mounted on top of my roof in this rack. It worked well. I am not running this roof rack anymore (I like to park in the garage). It has provisions mounted for 3 lights (front) and 1 rear light. You have several options for a floor. You could weld in expanded or sheet steel or you could do what I did (marine plywood). I am interested in selling this rack. Its all welded steel and mounts with 6 bolts drilled through the removable top. Small holes, big strength. Let me know. I wasn't planning on selling this but I dont use it so might as well make a buck on it and let someone use it. (its heavy duty and , I think its better than the con-fer units. Im in PRescott valley, north of phoenix

chrome sucks

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm planning to. Just picked up some 35" BFGs for spares, and I'm going to put one underneath the truck, and then one on top just for the long weekend trips. Mine will go on the half cab (front) portion though. Only prob is it makes you decidedly more top heavy, but it's up to you to decide if you can live with that or not.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have the 4.5x6 Con Ferr roof rack. My rack is mounted shifted forward so that the back four mounts are on the fiberglass top and the front two mount to the rain gutters. I plan to put my spare tire up there. I don't like swing away carriers and mounting inside will take up too much room from my family's camping stuff. It will be work to hoist that 35" BFG MT up there, but I don't plan to have to take it down too often. Mine will have a cheap non-matching rim, so it won't be in the rotation.

As far as drag, I already get a lot of that from the big offroad lights mounted to the front of it. And I will only have it mounted for offroad jaunts, not for daily driving (unless I decide the work of getting it up there out weighs the increased drag factor!). I plan to do this in the next month or so. I will post pics on my website of the mounting effort. Check out my website, though, for the look of just the rack. It is the 4.5'x6' OPW 6" side porthole model. Rack with mounting brackets ran me around $325 through 4WPW.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

12. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the advice / opinions guys. I found the Confer site right after I asked about it. Looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and drill holes in the top to mount something. I don't think there's any other way. I really want to see one of these up close and personal, just to see what I have to go through to install it. The thing I need to consider now is size. I can't (won't) go too far forward over the cab cause I have a sunroof, and I don't want the rack and/or mounts to interfer with it. I'm not concerned about drag either, since these trucks are sooo aerodynamc in the first place.

behemoth K5

13. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have 6in on my k5 and last summer i had a roof rack and my 35" spare in it, it looked kickass but my blazer is REALLY soft and man talk about body roll with that much weight mounted that high, since then i have installed a new swing-a-way from valley, it has held up great with the 35, even when i forgot to close it all the way and it swung open and almost hit a passing rang rover (man you should of seen the look on his face) but now that i am going to 38's i am going to use the swing-a-way for jerry cans and hi-lift and build a cradle at bedrail hight in my cage behind the back seat and the tire will stick out a few inches over the top of the tailgate. that way i can still use under it for storage.

14. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I'm sure all of our trucks are different, but I didn't get any increased sway when I put mine on. I have the 4' x 5' and it mounts to the rain gutters and two on the hard top. This is key in my opinion, since I can still use the rack when I take the top off for the summer! (I made some simple mounts to the rollcage where the rears would normally go) If you mount it all on the hardtop you will have no rack to use if you take off the top for open air cruising!!

As for the drag, you can definitely feel it, and see it in the MPG...I have documented a 2mpg increase when the rack is off compared to when it is on (I also have two large off road lights and a 35" BFG Mud up there on it, as well as spare parts in storage containers)...so the drag effect is very real on mine! But the versatility is awesome, being able to stick camping gear, etc up there when you need the extra room...people always tell me that it must be very topheavy offroad, but I truly don't notice any difference with or without it...

15. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i must add if i drove like a regular person i might not of noticed it that bad. my 90' is a full convert and when the hard top comes back off this summer i am mounting a light alum. roof rack to the back portion of the cage for "lighter" stuff like camping gear, cb antinna, rev. light, riding gear, cooler, etc... but nothing as heavy as a 38" spare.

16. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I have no intension of running anything larger than a 33"! I'm not worried about increased center of gravity either. I also have no intension of taking the top off. No place to store it, etc., etc. etc. When I wheel, it's usually to a campsite (or hunt site) that is totally inaccessable to conventional vehicles - THAT'S why I bought a Blaser! So - I really appreciate the dialog on the pros and cons. Large mudders (CG, weight, mpg) is not going to be a problem for me, so I'm looking to fit something up there that I can mount the spare to, and haul spare parts and camping gear. I still need to look at one up close just to see how other people have done it. I tend to look at how others have done things, then go off an a tangent and do it MY way (can anybody here relate to that?)!

behemoth K5