Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone near Ashville, North Carolina?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 3, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I found a 12 acre lot with a house and other stuff, and I'm thinking about buying it and renting out the house, and sticking a trailer on the lot to use as a summer/recreation place. Maybe one day move down there if the area's good.

So I'm wondering, is Ashville more in the country, or close (within an hour's drive) to a city?
    How are the rent's in that area (although I can find that on the web I guess)?
    What's the general population like? Hillbillies (distinguished from rednecks)? Ethnic? Families? Liberals? young people? Old people?

12 acres would be niiiiiiiice... Might actually get back into wheelin'...

2. cfurtick

cfurtick Registered Member

I live about 1.5 to 2 hours from ashville. The wife and I go up once or twice a year so my knowledge will be limited, but I can tell you that are a whole lot of Queers and tree huggers in Ashville. One guy I work with used to work there and said they call ashville the San francisco of the east coast! The mountains are beautiful and most everyone is very friendly as far as I can tell. I'm sure some one on here will have more knowledge of the area than me though....just my $.02 worth.

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

PM big pappa b, he's in Asheville or somewhere near it. I think dontoe's out that way too.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I love the Asheville area.

clicky!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha:

Glad I asked... So at least I'd be able to find tenants...

Hey Dontoe, that link isn't working for me... I'll try to PM you and BPP in the next couple days as I figure out more info about these properties I'm checking out..

6. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Byran aka Big Pappa P. Give him a shout. :xmas:

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Yeah I'm here. I work in Asheville but live about 7 miles southeast..no big deal. PM me an address or something and I'll check out whatever you need

8. big pappa b

What kind of price did you find? If it's a good one go for it. Property values have been going up about 7% a year at least for the last 6-7 years. Asheville is the city but it's really spread out. No traffic jams or anything even close. I'd say 90-95% white (according to the population info)
    Lots of beautiful country here and it's about a 2hr drive to Tellico (west) and maybe 3-4 to Uwharrie (East). We love it here
    Rent can be high but it depends on what you call high
    Only thing bad about the area is the tree huggers/liberals...but there is an open carry law here :D

9. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cool, thanks.

It's at "98 Sparkling Springs Rd at Garren Creek Rd", which is appearing to be wrong, since it's not showing up on any maps.

Listed at $199.

Rent being high is a good thing if you're thinking of renting :).

How's the typical weather and vandalism around there? Think a trailor would be safe if I only saw it once a month or once every two months?

I showed my wife the ad, she's all excited and started looking at schools down there already :rotfl:. I think she momentarily forgot that whole work-for-a-living thing...

11. big pappa b

Let me check that cause I live on Garren creek rd in Fairview, NC :blush:

12. big pappa b

I found the "For sale" ad online so I emailed the seller for directions to it. Judging by the pics and the price of land here I would say go for it. Only downside I see is the 1000 sq ft. part but with 12 acres you can expand a lot. Only other downfall with some places here is the driveways. When we came to look at houses here 6 of 7 of them were "REALLY" steep

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sweet, how cool is that??

I was going to PM you the ad, but got interrupted in my online time...

14. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i go up to mars hill which is like beside of it every summer probally 15 times. i love the area, i would like to move up there. ashville is a pretty big area, it has a city area that has everything you need there but at the other point there is moslty a quite rural area in some places. 2 thumbs up :thumb: