Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone near Mount Vernon/Springfield area?

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by BurbLover, Sep 24, 2005.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

My brother is looking at moving to the Mount Vernon area next year (06) as he has inlaws there and really liked the area. He's into stock car racing and apparently there is alot of that there. That and the cost of living appears to be quite reasonable. Anyway, he is trying to get me to move there as well. Actually, his wife is. If I move, it'ld most likely be closer to Springfield. What type of wheeling is there? I've always prefered rocks to mud. Also, how good is the job market out there in the springfield and surrounding areas?

TIA

2. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I am in the Champaign area, about 1.5 hours away I think. Wheeling is pretty much ORV parks, there is one in Rockport, IL, Marseilles, IL, Attica, IN, and some in Missouri are the closest ones.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I live half way between Mt. Vernon and St. Louis. I am a truck driver and my normal route is from St. Louis to Mt. Vernon and back to St. Louis twice a night hauling tires from Continental/General Tire. There is not much ground for wheelin' locally, you would have to travel a bit as noted above. There are no rocks around Mt. Vernon. The cost of living is quite reasonable as you mentioned. Stock cars, truck pulls, and demolition derbys are the hot things around here. A spectator was killed several weeks ago at the Mt. Vernon raceway when a car lost control and jumped the bank and landed in the crowd.

I have most of my family here, a decent job, nice shop, and several tons of parts, so I won't move. If it was easier for me to move though, I would. I would pick Pa, Az, or Co if I had a choice. Let your brother move here first, then visit a couple times before deciding.

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I know my brother has been out there like 3 times. He actually flys from Tucson to CA this friday to move his inlaws out there over the next week or so.

I'm sure I wouldn't move anywhere for at least 2 yrs or so. I'm sure I'd visit at least a few times. I would most likely head closer to Springfield or any other decent sized town. Need to for work reasons :D If I moved out there, I'd probably just part out my rig sounds like. I'd probably just get into racing as well. Maybe even team a car w/ my brother.