Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone not running bumpers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Apr 13, 2003.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am just curious if there are any laws stating that you HAVE to run a front bumper. Here in Iowa you dont have to run a rear but I wonder about the front...I realize all states may be different but I am thinking
    1. weight savings
    2. hastle of cutting down my old ones
    3. hastle of cutting down my old ones

This will see street use but not a daily driver
    Brent

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well, i dunno about any1 else, but I like the idea that if I get in a serious frontal collision that my big front bumper will be there to help take some of the damage. Imagine what a tree could do to your front end if you had no bumper to slow it down? shear off a few crossmembers? shove the engine into the passanger compartment? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif no thanks!

j

3. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I ran with out for a bit until a budy showed me how bad my frame was spreeding as I turned. I have 39.5 boggers, hydro assist, fish plate, and ORD's brace. So I dont advise it the bumber helps brace the frame.

4. jekbrown

good call there... bumpers, especially when tied into the frame at several points, really add to the frames overall rigidity. Always a good thing when ya get in a wreck...

j

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am not worried about wrecking. I will not be driving this on the roads enough for that to be an issue. It will be mostly a trail only rig. I was concerned about the frame issues. I am going to get working on some new ones I think.

6. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I am not worried about wrecking.

[/ QUOTE ]

good god, thats the kind of other-driver mentality that scares the crap out of me when i drive...

j

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I will not be driving this on the roads enough for that to be an issue. It will be mostly a trail only rig

[/ QUOTE ]

Try reading the entire thing next time. I hate it when people take things out of text, maybe you should work for CNN or something.

8. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

your breaking the law with no front bumper, period. that law is in place for people like you that have no common sense. i dont care about you or your rig, thats your choice, but think about the people on the road with ya. would you really want your frame rails goin through someones back seat and killin some inoccent child? think about it for a second. oh, and on another note i was lookin at your "cool" blazer pics in another thread and laughin at how quickly your gas tank is gonna get punctured on a stump or rock without a rear bumper or skidplate. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Take it easy, this is starting to sound like that other board /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. Personal attacks are NOT COOL. Back to the original question...

Even considering that your rig will be mainly a trail rig (actually especially since it will mainly be a trail rig) a front bumper is very important. My reasoning is that we are much more likely to smack into something (i.e. tree, rock, ledge, etc.) and there will be nothing between that obstacle and your raidiator and such. The weight savings (if you currently are using a stock bumper) are minimal.

I think that running a piece of rectangular tubing between the frame rails would be a better alternative. It would give you better clearance at the corners and still give good protection where you need it the most.

10. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

what was it about that reply that was an attack? i was clearly answering the question he asked with a twist. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know I am required to have one but I havne't for a week and a half now. Removed it since old one was bent and was easier to replace fender, will put it back soemday.

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Since your's is a trail only rig I would HIGHLY suggest a bumper. I ran without one for about a year, including a trip to disney. The damage to my frame is going to cost me BIG TIME. The frame is like a pretzel now. I laid a level on the front frame rails to see how far it was twisting, got in the truck and started turning the wheels. The level fell off /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The amount of strain that we put on these things, especially when going offroad is AMAZING, not having that extra bracing WILL do damage. Even if it's just something between the framerails and cheap, put something there. As for a skidplate, ask DP_90K5 about the softball sized dent in the gas tank of mine from the Midwest run at Disney /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I knew better than to leave it off, and it got me...

HTH

BTW, I'm running 4" of lift and 36's w/o crossover. Your setup will bend the frame...

13. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Thank you for that bit of information on the frame. You obviously understood what I was getting at.

14. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

You should consider getting a membership. People like you are what make CK5 great /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

That sometimes happens when you read the post all the way through huh /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif