Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone not running the tailgate have this problem...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Nov 24, 2001.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have had my tailgate off for the summer. Mainly because it hasnt ran all summer and I am replacing it. Well now that I have new, fancy, elcheapo, made in taiwan tailgate it wont fit. Its like the bed sides have bent outward by about 1/2 of an inch. So anyone not running a tailgate...have you noticed this problem? Or is it the tailgate its self. Any input.
    Thanks
    Brent

2. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Have you tried measuring someone elses tailgate? Maybe your bed sides have bent. Maybe your tailgate is too small. The measrements for my '77 are 67"s for the bed sides and 1/8" gap between the bed sides and the tailgate. I also have an '85 here and it looks a little bent now that you mention it. It has a 67 and 1/8" space between the bed sides and there's a 1/4 gap on one side of the tailgate. Good luck.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Now you know why tail gates develop stress fractures at the window opening [​IMG] The measurement at the floor should be the same as at the top. Come along it back into line. Now you need to measure in a X from the bottom of one side to the top of the oposite side and figure out what side is bent the worst and pull it back to square.
    When I built my barn doors I put some struts to keep the from happening. you will see these on prerruners a lot. Runs from the floor up to the bed side at an angle to keep the bed sides in line.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the pickups are notorious for this, thought the K5s would have been reinforced

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

when I put my new gate on I had to use the come along trick, and a buddy of mine used the struts for his...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My Jimmy has that problem...but I got rear-ended pretty bad. After replacing the tailgate I ran some 3/8" chain from the rear hardtop bolts and a turnbuckle to pull the sides in so the gate will open and close. Eventually I'll have to weld in some bracing to keep it straight.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check you tail pan also. when they rot they start to frown and the bed sides move out. When I replaced mine it pulled it back straight.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

8. tRustyK5

That's my exact problem...I have no rot at the rear but when I got hit the spare tire got pushed almost through the tailgate forcing the sides out. This caused the floor the bend (like a frown[​IMG])

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

No frown, its a little rusty but noting bad. Fill me in on the come-a-long idea, I dont think I have heard the term come-a-long.
    Brent

10. tRustyK5

A come-along is a small hand powered racheting winch. They are usually rated at one ton for the small ones and use a steel cable. Larger more expensive version use chain...

Just remember...you get what you pay for. There are many cheap come-a-long's out there and most are good for one pull and then they bend or fall apart.

Rene