Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone on here ever quit....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by protechk5, Mar 8, 2005.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Anyone on here ever quit dipping? Ive been doing it for about 4 years now and for many reasons Ive been wanting to quit but just cant, any advice??

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't dip, it looks like worm$hit. When we were kids my dad's friend would give us some and tell us it was bubble gum.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yup. I quit chewing last July and haven't touched a pinch since.

I did some research on the Net and found this site: Quitsmokeless.org. They have a great forum where everyone kicks eachother's ass. They also have a photo gallery that may give you bit of incentive. My favorite part of the site ishe "tracker" program. It keeps track of the days you have quit and how much money you have saved- it's amazing how fast kicking a bad habit can save you $100 that you can put towards something that won't kill you.

My own experience? I quit with the aid of nic gum, strong mints and strong cough drops. I found that if I tucked a Fisherman's Friend candy in my lip I would get the same kind of burn. I wish I hadn't used the nic gum, though- it was harder to kick that then the snuff.

Good luck, brother. Quitting was alot easier than I expected. Now, if I could just stop smoking my daily Blackstone Cherry Cigar!!!!:crazy:

4. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I used the gum to quit, it wasn't easy but the money made me do it.

I still have that craving. Getting up on a nice sunny morning after a quality night of drinking and wanting to sit on the back deck with a big fat lip. God, I'm drooling just thinking of it.

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I started smoking:(

John

6. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just went and looked at that web site, I'm not a strong willed person when It comes to quiting somthing that I enjoy ie. fattening foods. But if i was doing something that made or had the potential to make my face, mouth look like that I woud have quit/ never started ever. Those pictures would be my add for reasons not to do it

7. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've used dip three times now to help me quit smoking. Each time I quit was for over a year. I'm doing it again now. I'll use the dip to calm the tobacco craving then in a month or so I'll switch to sunflower seeds and gum. I started dipping when I was 14 and have never had a problem with putting it down. Now smoking is a different story. Using dip I'm not moody and it helps me break the habit of a cig always in my hand or hanging from my mouth. Its been a week and a half now and I don't want a cig, but I'm going through a can about every 2 1/2 days. I use to dip skoal straight but to help me quit sonnor I buy the cheap not as good dip.

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Sunflower seeds, lots and lots of sunflower seeds. You CAN quit you just havent yet. Heck if I can quit so can you :thumb:

9. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I used to chew for several years. Used cigarettes to quite chewing. Ended up smoking for about 15 years. Finally quit smoking on Dec 1 last year. I used the patch. With the patch on, you really can't chew/smoke or it can really mess you up I guess. You would have to take the patch off and wait several hours so it kind of forces you to stop and think about it before you take another dip or smoke.

Scott

10. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I have been dipping for about 25 years give or take. I stopped for about 2 years once... but thought I could take a few here and there and be ok... lol, not. I stopped for a little while using the patches.. but my mom's health was real bad, and it was the holidays, and the stress pretty much ended that short run.

When I try to stop again, I'll probably try the "anti-depressant method". I know a few people who have quite, using them. I easly go through over a can a day.

11. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Thats what I did with Welbutrin I quit for about 9 months then started back a few weeks ago I keep giving myself a quit time but I blow it off. Looks like it'll be the end of the month when we go on vacation...The wife would kill me if she knew I started back.:blush:

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I tried chew once, was putting a battery in my truck. I fell off three feet to the ground and was sick for an hour. That kind of ruined it.

13. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

One of my buddies is using some herbal stuff to quit. He says it still burns similarly, probably some pepper in it. I'll try to remember to ask him where he got it, and if it is helping him quit. Good luck.

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

http://www.quittobacco.com/catalog.htm?AID=5374072&PID=1385096

Here ya go...............:D

15. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

When i quit smoking, I tried chew to help the cravings. then i ended up chewing for a year... Tried to quit chewing, and i had a Ciggarette to help the cravings, Then i smoked for 4-5 months...

Once again i quit smoking, and started chewing again.... Well about 2 months agoi quit chewing with a combination of Niccorette and the patch

Well about 1 week ago i started Chewing again when i got drunk at a poker game...

So...... I need to quit again, Cuz now im stressin about cancer and what not...

plus Grizzly wintergreen is only about 2.50 a can so its so cheap its kinda harder to quit... And theres nothing i like more then Drinking a beer and working on my truck, and Loading a dip in... Only think i like more. is Chewing and wheeling:blush:

BUT I WILL GET IT RIGHT ONE OF THESE TIMES SO HELP ME GOD....

good luck to those trying..

16. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Oh yea i cant stress Sunflower seeds enough.. Although they seem to tear up my mouth almost as much as Chewing hah.

17. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Ive got a fat dip in right now. :D

I quit smokin, now I dip..not a healthy trade off but hey, thats life.

18. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

19. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, beaver chew.....sounds good to me. :haha: :haha: :haha: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

20. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

LOL.. about the only time I don't have a dip of copenhagen in my mouth is when I'm..

eatin'
    screwin'
    sleepin'
    or drinking something (and that's not always the case with that)

I do need to stop.. no doubt. It does give me something to tease the wife with...

When she asks me "when are you going to stop dipping".. I tell her "when you're as skinney as you were, when we got married".. :yikes: :rotfl:

That usually gets her off my back.. ;)

But, in all fairness... I need to quite. I like many others, keep saying I will, but as human nature would have it.. I'm never ready to face that day. Oh what a painful time it is too..... It's funny, you never really love dipping, as much as you do when you've stopped. :crazy:

That's one reason I want to try the anit-dep method. I hear that slowly but surely you just seem to "forget" to take a dip.... or that, say for instance, a better part of the day will go by, and you'll notice, "hey.. I have not taken a dip for hours, and then you'll take one". Sounds like a plan to me... that and a little will power just might do it. My friend said he finally just never went and bought that last can... and it didn't really bother him. From what I hear, your body makes a chemical, and the nicotien replaces it, so your body stops making it.. when you stop dipping/smoking, your body does not start producing it fast enough, which equals withdrawls. I guess the anti-dep replaces that chem, until your body has a chance to catch up. Something like that anyway.