Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone one who has done the Dana 60 35 spline conversion (please help)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flexy K20, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Am I doing something wrong with the hubs because they are really stiff and dont work like the ones on my 10 bolt did... They dont turn right and are being a pain in the a*s... Any help would be awsome Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Its normal....

If you read the instructions, It says that rocking the vehicle forward and backward while locking them helps get them in the lock position. Its just the way they are made. Mine are the same way.

Rob

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

mine are the same way... i tend to get them about a third of the way... then i roll the rig back 2'... get another third... another 2' back and they go to lock. <shrug> kinda annoying but its worth it for 35-splines. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    mine are the same way... i tend to get them about a third of the way... then i roll the rig back 2'... get another third... another 2' back and they go to lock. <shrug> kinda annoying but its worth it for 35-splines. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, have you ever broken 30 spline D60 outers? Wondering where the worth is. Not trash talkin you or anyone else, just I have the mentality sometimes where "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

Thanks for your input.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the d60 i got was used/abused when i got it and since I needed new hubs and ujoints anyway, i figured Id go 35 spline at that time rather than later when I'd bought all that 30 spline stuff. nuttin wrong with 30 spline shafts other than that 35 spline shafts are stronger. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can only assume that the stubs that were in my d60 when i got it were used/abused so I considered them a weak point. I dont like weak points. I'll prolly run 42s on my rig someday, so a lil extra beef in the stub shaft area is a good thing.

j

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

j [ QUOTE ]

Just curious, have you ever broken 30 spline D60 outers? Wondering where the worth is. Not trash talkin you or anyone else, just I have the mentality sometimes where "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

Thanks for your input.

[/ QUOTE ]

I run 44" Boggers so 35 spline outers was a must. The stock 30 spline outers are just a bit bigger than a D44.

Nuthin is wrong with them as long as the tire size doesnt get above 38's (IMHO), but there are always the guys who make'em last with 44's and the guys who brake 35 spline stubs with 35's!!!

Bottom line---there are tons of other upgrades to be bought for the same 360 bucks.

Rob

7. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Sounds like you have the hubs with the set screws right? I have those. Look inside the cap and inside the wave spring is a round piece of tube steel, remove it. I forget what its called, but those hubs were originally ment for rear wheel axles on a Warn conversion and those rings keep the axle shaft centered or something. They are useless on the front except for the aggrivation they are causing you know. (ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) If you do a search on Off-Road.com in the Chevy section, Shawn Spickler wrote an article about the hubs and it shows some shots of his with and without those tubes.

Depdog