Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone out there running holley carb (mine keeps icing up)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the fall guy, Feb 8, 2005.

1. the fall guy

the fall guy Registered Member

Just wondering if any guys are running holley carb in colder climates...My 670 street avenger keeps icing up on humid cool days and my stock breather cover won't bolt up to the carb so i don't have a heat riser pipe due to the aftermarket breather. Just wondering if there is a breather that would bolt up to that carb and /or if there is a way to fix this problem. I emailed Holley and they said there is nothing they have for aftermarket breathers.
    Thanks
    :confused:

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Go here http://www.cliffordperformance.com If you cant find one on the web site Call them and tell them you need a heated carb spacer for your holley . I know they have them I have bought a couple from them before. They are a spacer that you connect your heater hose to and run hot water thru them. Kinda like the ones on the 454 TBI motors. They work great and will cure your icing problem.
    Clifford is about the only place I know of where you can get those heated spacers. You gotts to have one if you stick a 4 barrel carb on a 6 cyl. Because The carb sticks way out on the side where it stays cool and ices up easily.

3. the fall guy

Thanks man but i checked out the web site and my truck has a 305 v8. most of the engines or mods on the web site are for 6 cyl.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A ford spacer might work...

I have icing issues too,on an edelbrock 600 cfm performer--they are lousy carbs in the winter,when I had it on my 250 six in my 79 C10 it would frost up like a snow cone and cause it to die every time you let off the gas,got very annoying to drive,and dangerous too,at times...its now on a 305(250 RIP:frown1: ) and I can hook up the "hot air pipe" thing,but it still ices up some in artic weather...

I was going to get a carb spacer I saw at a boneyard on a 390 ford truck manifold,it was a 4 bbl spacer with 2 heater hoses on it,just like the "clifford" one described in the last post--but I was in a hurry and could not get it that day,and now the truck is gone,probably went in the crusher:mad: --so much for that idea,unless I find another one someday--I saw this one in a ford pickup,I'd say a 74-77 vintage,with a 360 or 390 "FE" motor--they used ford-autolite Holley style 4 bbl carbs,so the base should be the same as your Holley carb..

I would not underestimate the importance of having heat to the carb base--not only does it make it safer to drive by preventing stalling at a bad intersection,the motor itself suffers when the mixture is too cold,it makes it run rich and form lots of sooty carbon--I think this is what killed the 250 six I had the 4 bbl on for 2 years,driving it in the cold weather allowed enough carbon to form that it cracked the #6 piston's top,and a big chunk broke out of it,exposing the top rings!--the motor had only 113,000 miles and ran sweet otherwise until that happenned--its in the scrap pile now..:frown1: and all that unburned fuel has to go somewhere--usually washes the oil off the cylinders,and goes into the crankcase--both very detrimental to the engine.:crazy:

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Doesn't matter if its a 6 cyl site. They will have a spacer that will will fit your Holley. A square bore carb is a square bore carb no matter what engine it is on.
    I ran a 4160 Holley 600 CFM on 6 cyl engine. I have also used rochester Q-jet on a ford 300 cid 6. Got heated spacers for both carbs from them. Had to run an adapter plate fot the q jet tho. Their spacers are made to fit Holley square bore 4 barrel carbs. Call them they will have the spacer you need.

Or you can check the junk yards for a heated spacer off a ford as previous post said it will fit your carb.

6. the fall guy

Thanks for the info guys but i phoned around and found a place were they sell a spacer that goes between your carb and air breather....this will allow me to put the stock air breather on and heat riser pipe. If anyone who is interested in looking into this option let me know and I will get you the manufacturer and part number.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

there was a guy on here that made his own heater/spacer.

really cool, had a 1/2 inch of alum made to fit and put 6 diesel glow plugs in it, leves them on till its wamed up.