Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone own a bus as their tow rig?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GMCLegacy, Jul 4, 2002.

1. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

what is required for a person to legally drive, liscene and insure an old school bus modified to hold a pickup instead of passangers. any thoughts?

thanks

2. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

the total passenger amount has to be under 15 and there is something with the gross vehicle weight. i have seen some school buses with the back cut and the door moved forward to make it look like a crew cab pickup type deal- as in it has a bed for storage. i saw a really cool one at mont eagle for a trail ride where they carryed their scout around in the back. i dont have a picture on the web of it, but i hope my description helps.

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Out here it cannot have airbrakes, nor exceed 24000lbs. Nor have more than 3 axles, no more than 9 passengers, there is also a length limit but I can't remember what it is.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

That wouldn't matter to me as I have a Class A licence, with bus endorsement too.

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I dont know about the liscense, but there is a guy back home who cut the top off the rear 2/3 of a bus and uses it to haul demo cars. He just moved the rear(where the emergency door is) forward. Looks cool! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Range Boy T

Range Boy T Registered Member

Well, as far as i know and from some of the county sheriff's around, they say, no licence is needed for "personal use" don't specify what the use is. height restriction in MI is 14'. I have some crazy friend that wants to do this same thing with a bus, not a bad idea. As long as the bus has a detroit and an allison Tranny, i think it would be mint.

1987 Chev Silverado 350/TH400/208
    D44f 14BFFr detroit 6" sus 35" swamps