Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone own a Kahr handgun? Have an opinion of them?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Oct 22, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm a bit from legal to carry a handgun but I still look around at different guns, shoot when I get the chance. Artist at the tattoo shop let me check out his Kahr K9 I must admit it just felt right in my hand. Anyone have experience with these guns? He loves the gun. The owner of the shop carries a Kahr PM40 and swears by his as well.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

A 7+1 9mm? If you're going to have a 9x19, get something that holds a godawful amount of rounds

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Have to agree. There is just no reason for a low cap 9mm. I love shooting 9's but to only have 7 rounds is kinda... well, silly. Do you have really small hands? A lot of people love the single stack guns because their easier to grip. I have a med sized hand (as defined by "mechanics" gloves) and 9mm double stacks are not too bad to hold at all. .45's double stacks are a little harder, but not uncontrollable.

Kahr's makes some pretty good guns, at some pretty good prices. Just parts are not as common, and mags will be a !@#! to get easily.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Why even have a 9mm at all? My "don't leave home without " is a 1911A1 Springfield .45. If I have to shoot someone, it is to stop them, and the 9mm has not been very successful at that.The reasons that our military have gone to the 9mm: NATO compatability, easier to train officers to shoot it adequately, and lower ammo costs.The Secret Service and the FBI carried 9's for a while, but they didn't last long. I think the FBI went to the .40SW and the Secret Service back to the .45.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Ruger P345 .45

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh didn't take me long to deicde I would forget that option. First place I looked that had a price on the Kahr was around $750. Where as the same site had a Glock 9x19 for about $450.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    If I have to shoot someone, it is to stop them, and the 9mm has not been very successful at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif you do know that 9mm has killed more people than any other handgun cartridge in the history of man... right? If you do your job, the 9mm is plenty of firepower. I dont care if your high as a kite on PCP, when I give someone 2 Gold Dots to the chest and 1 to the head, its lights out.

j

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

That's three bullets. Get a .45 and you'll only need one. Hell, I'm not every sure one needs Gold-Dots in a .45 as ball still rocks in .45, but yes I carry gold-dots in my .45.

If you shoot someone with a .45 and he doesn't fall down, go around back and see what's holding him up.

9. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

ya Im with Jek on this one...allthough for our military personel 9mm has proved to weak, thats because they are limited by the geneva convention to be able to only use FMJ type ammo...us civilians and law enforcement have the option to use hollow points and frangebles...both of which will easily stop the most drugged up folks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif that being said I carry a .40 not because I dont trust a 9mm, but because when I bought my gun the assault weopons ban was still in effect and I couldnt justify buying a 9mm that was designed to hold 17 rnds only came with 10rnd mags...where as my .40 full capacity was 12 so I figured I was only loosing 2 rnds....now that the ban is up Im probably gonna pick up a Sig 228 9MM as my full carry /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

and as for the FBI They use the 10mm cartridge, sorta like a longer .40 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

actually, Im pretty sure that the FBI wanted to go 10mm, but found that many smaller agents and women couldnt handle follow-up shows very well, so they went with the "10mm short" aka the .40 S&W.

As to .45 vs 9mm, its a myth that the larger rounds such as the .45 negate the need for proper bullet placement. There are LOTS of recorded instances of men taking rounds much more powerfull than a .45 to the shoulder, gut, thigh etc and not being killed. Hell, plenty of guys in WWII got shot in those areas with 8mm mausers, 303 enfields and 30-06 garands and weren't "one shot stopped"... each has about 10x the power of a .45. IMO, there is only one thing that makes handgun rounds, of any size, lethal and that is accurate bullet placement. Sure, if you spine-shot a guy with a .45 he's toast... but the same shot with a 9mm will kill the guy too. Plenty of spec-ops guys have used the 9mm for years and to devestating effect. How many people have gone into anti-terrorist missions armed with MP5s? or UZIs? Unlike rifle ammo, pistol rounds dont tend to me loaded with the types of powders that result in a longer barrel providing much in the way of bullet velocity, so its not like the longer mp5 barrel does much to make the 9mm more lethal... its all about bullet placement.

j

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    A 7+1 9mm? If you're going to have a 9x19, get something that holds a godawful amount of rounds

[/ QUOTE ]

For what? Unless you're a non-shooting idiot, anything more than 8 rounds in a gun fight is unnecessary. The M1911 never held more than 7+1 and it was our military's sidearm for nearly 80 years.

[ QUOTE ]
    Why even have a 9mm at all? My "don't leave home without " is a 1911A1 Springfield .45. If I have to shoot someone, it is to stop them, and the 9mm has not been very successful at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the biggest bunch of crap I've ever heard. The 9mm has the 2nd best record for killing people with an auto pistol, 2nd only to .40 S&W. That's right, even better than .45 ACP.

Jek kinda covered this--but was actually incorrect. The most sucessful handgun round ever is the .357 magnum, having been carried by police officers for a number of years before the switch to 9mm--and now I'd say it's swaying towards .40 S&W.

[ QUOTE ]
    That's three bullets. Get a .45 and you'll only need one. Hell, I'm not every sure one needs Gold-Dots in a .45 as ball still rocks in .45, but yes I carry gold-dots in my .45.

If you shoot someone with a .45 and he doesn't fall down, go around back and see what's holding him up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Common training with an auto pistol is always two center mass and one to the head. It doesn't matter what caliber you're using.

Ball sucks in everything, including .45, in my opinion. Even a 9mm becomes .60 or so caliber when it exits. Ball comes out the same, or smaller, than it enters.

That myth about .45 is the longest standing bullshit myth ever divised. Common physics tells you that in order to knock a man down with a bullet, the shooter would have to be knocked down as well. Even the energy from a .45 is similar to getting hit with a baseball when getting hit with a bullet. Yes, there is more energy, but no, it is not capable of watching a man down.

Expecting to knock a person down is due to two factors--psychological factor. Getting shot is not a good feeling, and knowing you're shot makes it far worse. Obviously the other one is physical factor, which is not based on caliber or ammo selection anywhere near as it is with the biggest issue, which Jek covered slightly above--SHOT PLACEMENT.

In case anyone is wondering, I lean towards big bullets, but I am not totally biased. I just bought a .45, and a 9mm. I am tactially proficient with both--so the round selection is a non-issue. For me, it's Sig or H&K that I get to choose from--both high quality pistols.

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Regarding Kahrs, I have not shot one but I have handled a pm-9. I don't like it. I don't like the way it feels or points.

[ QUOTE ]
    it just felt right in my hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I say go with what feels good to you. Have you tried a glock 19, CZ75, Sig 228 or Browning Hi-Power? All are high capacity 9mms I'd pick over a Kahr. The most gun for the money of all those would be the CZ75B, available just about everywhere for $399. The same gun by anyone else would cost $600.

13. Resurrection_Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    For what? Unless you're a non-shooting idiot, anything more than 8 rounds in a gun fight is unnecessary. The M1911 never held more than 7+1 and it was our military's sidearm for nearly 80 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you;re going to trade off cartridge size you may as well get something in return

I'm sure you're massive repitoire of gunfighting holds sway here Tim

No one with any sense is going to turn down extra rounds before or after reloading

By your logic everyone should carry a Tarus 608 with 8 rounds of .357.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

R_J,

Thus why, if you look carefully, you'll realize that my 9mm holds 15+1 and my .45 holds 8+1. No, this is not a coincidence. I, like you, believe if you're going to have a 9mm, have it hold more...but only because I don't believe it to be a tradeoff, but just because nothing chambered in .45 holds 15+1, so it's a plus to own a pistol that does.

Funny how the Glock 23 is smaller than my sig and holds 15+1 of .40 S&W though. Wonder how Glocks always hold so much ammo compared to the competition.

15. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well you guys must not know anything about the Kahr in question...it is a small 9mm. Less rounds because the gun is smaller. If you want to carry concealed, you need a gun that is not like a brick....so the cost is not an apple to apple comparison with a glock or other make.

You do not need .45 to kill someone. A 9mm +P hollow point will kill someone (if need be) just fine. Of coarse you have to hit the person and hit them in the right spot for anything to be effective.

The Kahr is an awesome gun, well made, small size. I would get one for concealed carry.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I believe the smallest 9mm made is the Springfield subcompact that is out, so I believe you to be incorrect.

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of the PM 9mm, and its the smallest I have ever seen.

Definately smaller than the Springfield.

I need to go back to selling guns again, im getting rusty LOL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe the smallest 9mm made is the Springfield subcompact that is out, so I believe you to be incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/706397168018.html

incorrect. If thats the Springfield you mean(their own site is down) it is larger than the the Kahr P or K9.

HOWEVER the K9 is only marginally smaller from the specs I see and the Springfield is a 10+1 where as the Kahr is as noted a 7+1.

19. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

but just because nothing chambered in .45 holds 15+1, so it's a plus to own a pistol that does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, Para ordinance holds 14+1 of .45ACP. The tac 4 holds 13+1. Awesome shooting devices. Trade off is of course, that 15 rds of .45 aint light.

20. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

I carry a Kahr PM9 everytime I leave the house and I love it. It is extremely concealable and an excellent shooter, especially for its size. Granted the 9mm is not rated the highest for one shot stops, however with the 127gr. +P+ Winchester SXT or the 124gr +P Cor-Bon, I don't feel undergunned at anytime. I have seen people shot with hard ball 9mm and would not recommend it for self defense.

Best advice, carry two guns. My favorite, Glock G23 loaded with Gold Dots inside the waist and Kahr PM9 on the ankle.

Best advice part 2, never let people know you are armed. You will be the first target of the bad guy.