Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone own a KIA SORENTO?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLZN4FN, Jan 7, 2007.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if any one has one. I;m looking at buying a 2003 Sorento and was woundering what you all thought.

2. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I have a 03. I like it. It has a two speed TC and a LCD in back. After 3 yrs of my wife abusing it, she works in DC, it still rides solid. The biggest thing I like is the warranty you can't beat it. We had a slight valve knock and they replaced the whole engine. We have about 30k miles on it right now and I think we'll have it when it's well over 100K.

BTW, OME has a 2" suspension system for it.

3. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

I had one for about a year - think it was an '04. I traded it for my current Sub a little over a year ago.

It was a nice little vehicle; decent power for cruising, handled like it was on rails (for an SUV, anyway) and like bear76 said the warranty was killer. I got rid of it as a part of a car consolidation process. I didn't like what I was paying for it and my mileage wasn't what I hoped it would be. If I remember correctly it was around 18 mpg. I don't drive much since I work from home and when I do it usually involves highway miles so the 18 was combined city/highway but mostly highway.

All in all I liked it. The 10yr/100,000 mile factory warranty applies, I think, only to the original owner so keep that in mind. Don't know what the general warranty covers.

Good luck with your decision, Bo.

Jason

4. EKG

EKG Newbie

i have owned a 2007 3.8 L sorento for 2 months now and am absolutely impressed with it. i did some fantastic off roading during the holidays and it gave a good account of itself. pick up is amazingly fast. Handles more like a car than an SUV. THE POWER TO SURPRISE INDEED!

i dont know much about the 2003 but i believe its a good choice you have made.
    EKG

5. wyo76k10

wyo76k10 Registered Member

no i dont own a kia but iam a kia technician FACTORY TRAINED AND CERTIFIED SENIOR TECH if that means anything but i know a helluva lot about kia's the 07 sorentos are nice 3.8 v6 a little bit different body styling then the 06's and before plus TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system). weve had no major problems with the sorentos there good rigs.

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

it looks very low. does it have enough clearance to have a decent breakover angle? i would like a more efficient 4x4, but i don't want to give up the capability of my k5. maybe that's an unfair comparison. i've been so impressed with the offroad performance of my bone-stock 82 k5 (nice job, general) that i'm disappointed with almost everything else i try, in stock form.

7. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

I never had mine off-road so I can't say. The only thing I've seen about its off-road prowess is from a 4 Wheel and Offroad 4x4 of the year test a few years back. They seemed pretty impressed. Here's the link:

Kia Sorento

The "efficient" part was one of the things that got me. According to the test above it's 15/18 city/highway, which isn't too bad but didn't impress me considering what it is. I'm happier with my 11ish mpg in my 8.1L Suburban because I can do so much more with it.

8. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Talk about doing more, i get 15-18 on the highway in my tired 94 Blazer with the TBI 350. Way more versitile/capable than the sorrento.

9. Blazn83

Blazn83 Registered Member

pick up this months issue of Petersons 4Wheel Off-Road, or FOUR WHEELER, they both have articles in there about the Sorento... in the 4WOTY comp.

10. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i've always wondered how the new sheetmetal blazers handled offroad. i like the looks, since my '94 c1500 shares much of the body. i wouldn't expect old blazer performance, but maybe worth it for the 4-7 mpg imcrease and better reliability (being newer). i would miss the pop-top feature of the older blazers. even though it's just the back, i like pulling the top off of my 82, when the weather is about 80 degrees and dry.

11. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I'm a master Honda tech and would never be scared to buy a Honda with 60k
    But what about a Kis with 60K? Anything to look for or any things that always seem to go wrong with them.

12. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

I bought the wife a cpo 03 Honda Pilot 4x4 with 69,500 miles on it in august 06
    has been a good suv-got it back yesterday, was running rough when cold, said it was a bad egr valve-replaced under cpo warranty-the subwoofer was blown or something also- i owned a pos vw passat b4 and I feel 100% better and safer in this one. ROCK ON HONDA (AMERICAN 4EVER THOUGH)