Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone own a new/newer van? Opinions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Jun 18, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Thinking about trading in the Cherokee and buying a new van. I'm leaning towards a conversion van but haven't made up my mind. We travel a lot and I have 2 boys (13 & 15). They are both growing like mad so the backseat of my 2 door Cherokee is rapidly getting too small.
    Who owns one / type / do you like it?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well i have driven a few and the econoline 150's are pretty nice, they actually ride decent too if its a conversion van...why not get a 4 door cherokee? remember they're gonna be drivin soon and dont want a van... maybe a burban...

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I used to have a Chevy conversion van. Great for road trips, but not the best mpg type of vechile for running around town.

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't mind a Burban but they start off at $37,000 and the fuel economy SUCKS!!!

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I have a Ford E150 cargo van. I use it for work mostly but have taken some very nice trips in it also. It has a 302 EFI and gets 20mpg and now has 254K on it without a rebuild. The tranny went out at about 220K but it's all better now.

I would suggest getting one without the conversion and then doing it yourself. MUCH MUCH cheaper. And it would be done to your specs. Not a hard thing to do and you can get everything you need at a conversion depot.

If you get one, get the one with the Tow Package and you will get the stronger tranny that should last 500K. Change that oil every 3K and the tranny oil every 60K and the thing will last and last.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

We've got a '98 GMC Savana full size conversion van. It's a great ride. We just got it. We traded our '89 Chevy G20 conversion van for it. We took 10 trips to Florida, a couple to St. Louis, and one to Philadelphia in the old one and it was always a great trip. Plus, my Dad used it as his DD for 14 years too. We use the "new" one the same way and have had no problems with either. If you're looking for a good family vehicle that's reliable and good for a DD as well, I'd say go with one.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I had a pair of vans when i was a bit younger, but they wore out in about 6 months or so. I couldn't say that I recommend them too much. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I've personnaly owned a 97 Chevy Astrovan Conversion Hitop Van (Bought new), a 89 Chevy 3/4 ton Hitop Coversion van, and a 97 G-10 Express Conversion van.

The first comment I'd make is I hate hitops!! In the wind they stink. They temp to sway all over, no matter what shocks or suspension you have. I do love the G-10 Express. I have three kids (14, 13, 9) and three dogs. I fits all of us. My has the TV/VCR mounted between the front two captains chairs. I beleive the new vans have flip down TV from the roof. That would be nice. I plan on doing that If my TV/VCR ever go out.

I hope this helped some. If you were closer, I'd let you borrow it. Also, I think Chevy has a 24 Hr loan policy now on new vehciles. Maybe you can get one on a Weekend & see how it work. Another option, due to the large expense of buying new), would be to rent one for a week to really see what you think.

The last comment I'd like to make is depreciation. If you buy a new conversion van, the price is marked up due to the conversion kit. However, when it come to trade-in/resale/loan value, only the basis van with options will be looked at. Bottom line, you're gonna lose a bundle if you try to seel in the next three years or so.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I roll a 2001 E-350 15 passenger van at work... That thang's pimp... unless it's windy, then it's just scary /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

sorry, older burban, efi solid axle style