Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Own an Alaskan Malamute?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigoltrux77, Nov 5, 2006.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

Kind of an off the wall question, but thats why i posted up here. Wondering if anyone ownes, has owned, or knows anyone who has an Alaskan Malamute. Im starting to get very interested in these dogs, after i saw the movie "8 Below" :wink1: . If so, do you have any pros or cons on the breed? Thanks

2. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i had a husky/malamute mix when i was growing up and it was the best dog i ever had

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a Malamute (shilo) and he was a great dog! Shedding is really bad....I mean like glad bags full of hair. They will howl every time a siren go's by. They dont bark. They love the cold a lot more than the heat. I used to take him snowboarding with me and he had a great time. He died at 11 years.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a husky that some jackass abandoned Great dog, but she was always uncomfortable down here and shedded unbelievably.

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They are working class dogs - do you have tons of time for walks/exercise/challenges?

Great dogs but they need all of the above.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Isn't that what Dontoe has???

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Yup... ours is a Husky/Malamute cross, or so we've been told!

She's a great dog.

[​IMG]

Until shedding season....

[​IMG]

8. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

they're runners/wanderers....literally if you leave them unattended in a yard. they'll be GONE as soon as he gets bored. doesn't matter id the fence i 6-7 or8" tall. they'll go over under or through. Iv'e seen one jump a 6' fence no problem. my old neighbor had one. great dog. but he was searching for the dog once a month in the neighbourhood. then there was the one time he never found him.

9. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Naw, he's a Sibieran Husky, asshole devil dog.................:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Sweet boy...............
    [​IMG]

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had one... Dug holes that you could fit some small cars in. She was a good dog until she attacked my little brother... then you can probably guess what happened to her

11. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Ahh yes... the digging. I call mine the Siberian Digging Hound..... My lawn mower needs bycicle tires and suspension because it's like an obstical course back there. We have invisible fence wire burried around the back yard and if she gets within 3 feet of the fence she gets zapped. Thats the only way we found to contain her was to go with electro-shock therapy

But they do love to run.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And when they're done running... they sleep
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

lmao "when they're done, they sleep" lol

13. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I Had a female Siberian, she definitely shed her coat but not until mid- summer...then it came out by the handful. Like above she loved to run, and there wasn't much stopping her. I went to training class with her, and would highly recommend that with any dog. For you as well as the dog. Mine ended up being put down due to a tumor in her belly as big as a grapefruit, that broke open one day. I feel like she was the best dog I ever had out of 5. She was also a great defender of my daughter when she was about 10, a couple of dalmations charged us, and my daughter screamed, and the Sibe turned toward them, and rolled one, and bit the other in the ass, and they headed for home.
    Good luck.

14. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

We had one as an older teenager. He was a malimute/wolf mix. Great dog just had an additude problem at times for no reason at all. Do not get a wolf mix in my opinion. All in all he was a great dog until it turned on my nephew. My father did not mind him getting rough with us so much but not good with my 4 year nephew. I think it was the wolf in him getting into his mind.

15. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

A good friend had a Malimute/Wolf mix. The dog was only 1/4 wolf and HUGE. Nick, the dog, was well over 120 lbs of hair and muscle. Great dog, but he scared the crap out of other dogs.

16. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the wolf malamute mix - I think the wolf part was the 'pack' friendly part of the animal. The pure huskies and malamutes I have been around were much more independant, active, etc.... with the attitudes were as mentioned above. :D

17. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I have malamute/sheppard mix. Been my best friend for about 14ys. Got him from the pound at 14 months, the last owner was an old guy who didn't know Buster would grow to about 6ft tall when standing up. He was REAL SKINNY when I got him but that changed he's been at 130lbs since the age of two. He was a handfull the first two years I had him but he settled down as he got older. Good thing too, his paws are about the size of my fists and I got big fists. Great dogs but spend at least one year in training classes they can be very independant. Shedding is a huge issue too. By a new vaccume and use it everyday! My mom once nitted a scarf out of the fur one day! When I brush him out in the yard it looks like a dozen rabbits were slaughterd.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had one years ago...

I got a Malamute Husky from the K-9 cop who lives near me many years ago--was sired from the Police Dog,supposedly one of the smartest dogs ever used around here in police work for sniffing out drugs,catching crooks,etc..but the pup I got must have been retarted!..:rolleyes:

All it did was yip yap,bark and whine all day and night,and dig huge holes in my yard,and it also got loose on a daily basis,and I chased it for miles every week--one day it got into my neighbors hen house, and killed 8 chickens and a rooster,and that was the final straw..I gave him to a guy in a rural town who had 17 acres of land he could roam in..he behaved perfectly for him!..must have not liked me or something..made a real mess of our yard,and enraged our neighbors..

I'd say an Alaskan Malamute is perfect for alaska,but not a real good choice for a "city" dog..they need lots of room and excersize!..they also EAT like a horse!...:crazy:

19. spuul

spuul Registered Member

I have a Mute, they are great dogs! You should know they are definately Alpha dogs and may NOT get along with other dogs. Mine is about 125lbs., and anything under 100 he can consider a snack. They are not for first time dog owners or people that don"t have the time to exercise them. Kids love him and always want to come up and pet him, probably because of the movie Snow Dogs, 8 Below etc... That being said, if you have the time and patience, they are probably one of the best dogs you can find. IMO.