Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone own or have shot a Mossberg 500?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Jun 29, 2005.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Specifically the home security models shown here: http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm

The guy at the local Big 5 showed me one that sounds like this: #50577 12 ga. 500® Pump 8-shot, w/20" barrel ...MSRP $345, except for the fact it had an 18" barrel, and was only $239.00.

So what are your opinions on it as a target gun, hunting gun, and home-defense gun?

2. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The Mossberg 500 is a very good shotgun. I have had a Remington 870, Mossberg 500 and a Winchester 1300 and they all are good. There are a ton of after market parts for the Mossberg 500. It tends to be the mid-priced of the three.

Currenty there is a Winchester 1300 Defender loaded with 3 inch 00 by my bed. I go a steal of a deal on it off Gunbroker.com. I paid $165 plus $20 for shipping.

3. icer97

icer97 1/2 ton status

I have 2 mossburg 500. I like them both. They are tough and for the price you cant feel so bad when you beat them around.

4. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

That's my wife's house gun. Great weapon for home defense. Like with any shotgun, 00 buck beats you up when you shoot it though.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Last mossburg I had looked something like this.[​IMG]

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Got one with the 18 1/2" barrel, and a longer goose barrel (28" ?). Good, dependable, accurate gun.

John

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Mossbergs are good no frill gun. I been shooting a 500 for over 30 years. It has killed many hundreds of birds. And has had thousands of high power shells put thru it. Its been stomped in the mud in duck blinds, drenched in water, banged around in trucks all its life. Because of the hard use it has had I bought a new barrel for it a couple of years ago. Also converted it to a synthetic stock. It still shoots good as new.

I dont think the 18" barrel gun you posted would be good for anything but defence, plinking, and maby holding up a convience store or 3.. It would be almost usless for hunting and skeet shooting except at very close range. They have an open choke barrel The pattern spreads and looses power very quickly.
    But
    Barrels are very easy and quick to change. They are fairly cheap to buy. Usually around $80 for a vented rib 28" hunting barrel including 3 screw in choke tubes. With the extra barrel, the gun you posted a link to would be a great all around gun. Tha action is the same as all other Mossberg 500.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I have a 500 as a personal gun and my department has them. They are a pretty good gun for the price. I'd take an 870 over it though.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've had my 500 for about 15 years now.

When I was a kid I put a few thousand rounds through the gun, plus backpacking trips, etc. Still in really good shape, works fine.

Outside military/police applications, I can't really think of a reason to get the 8 shot...it's not as good a house/camping gun since you can't use the 18" barrel on it. (magazine tube too long) For bird hunting here, you need a 3 shot plug too, so 8 shot is no advantage for bird hunting either.

Full power 00 buck or slug loads with the pistol grip are painful the first round. :) With practice though, the pistol gripped 18" 500 is a formidable gun at fairly close range.

When I bought mine, and from the ads I still see, big 5 typically advertises the 6 rounder(? been awhile since I loaded mine) 500 with an 18" AND a 20"+ barrel that you can use for hunting. No idea what exact application the longer barrel is designed for, but it would probably at least let you shoot clay pigeons, better than the 18" for sure.

Barrels are extremely easy to swap, and pretty darn common. Check some online shotgun forums classified sections and see what 500 barrels go for if you expect to need different ones.

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

My friend had a 500 and it was a pretty nice gun. Worked well and there were a lot of assecories available for it. I liked the pistol grip and the folding stock. I have an 870 and like it better. After shooting both, the 870 just seems smoother.
    -Harrison

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I got 2 of them, need a longer rifled barrel for shot gun season deer hunting though, but for home defense,I think they'd do the trick...

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

870 and 500 are both nice. I have the 870 in 18" and it's damnnice. Paid $240 at a retail shop.

I have heard the 500 has better jammed shell recovery

The LOP on mine sucks though, I need a collapsable stock

13. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My dad has a 500 that I've shot quite a bit. It's a good overall gun but I still like my 870 supermag better.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a 500 (8 shot, 18.5" big 5 special) and really like it. I added a side saddle and a choate stock like this...

[​IMG]

very nice stock, really helps control the recoil on them 3" mag rounds. :)

j

15. Resurrection_Joe

Hows the LOP on that stock? I definately need something changed

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Dumb ?? Do you know how to check LOP??? If not, bend arm, put butt plate against bicep where it meets forearm. Trigger finger should reach trigger comfortably.

17. eric22

eric22 1/2 ton status

i have the same gun, with a very similar stock, i love it!

18. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

The 500's are tough as nails. We kept a stainless steel one on the boat at all times when I was commercial fishing. With very little care, it held up to all the salt air just fine. We use them at our hunting/fishing lodge for bear protection. No matter how hard they are banged around, or dropped, or dunked in water they always seem to work. Can you tell I am a very happy with them? :D I have to buy another, I think my dad thieved mine. :grin:

19. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

exactky what I was going to say I love my 870 super mag :D

20. Resurrection_Joe

I was asking how it was measured for that stock, not mine

Were you calling me dumb?