Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone play raquetball? /"Fattie McButterpants" check-in/updates

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NoAngel, May 1, 2003.

1. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Anyone play raquetball? /\"Fattie McButterpants\" check-in/updates

I was wondering if it's a good workout? I have no clue about the sport. My brother has 2 raquetball raquets so I'm good to go. I've been playing tennis.(with my niece who isn't very good which is good for me because I'm running all over the place chasing after the ball)
    I figured I'd give raquetball a try to give myself some variety and to have the option to excercise indoors on rainy/snowy days. Is it worth it to get into it? I.e. fun, good excercise etc...? Is it a hard sport to master?

BTW...anyone still on the Fatty McButterpants plan? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif (For anyone that is reading this and saying "what the heck is she talking about. It was a made-up "diet club" some of us K5ers "joined" when we everyone was feeling unpleasantly plump. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif) Do a search on it, some very funny posts
    -12 lbs. and counting... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone play raquetball? /\"Fattie McButterpants\" check-in/updates

Noangel,

I played raquetball for about 4 years. I stopped playing recently because I would have to join a $$$$ gym that has one of the only local courts, and my friends have moved that would go with me. It is a fun game...fast paced and an excellent workout. There is a slight change in the way you hit the ball, compared to the tennis swing. I found it more challenging than tennis. Give it a try, I am sure you will like it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

BTW...anyone still on the Fatty McButterpants plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fattie died of a massive heart attack... sadly, is no longer with us... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. awagliar

awagliar Registered Member

It is indeed a good workout, and a lot of fun too. I highly recommend goggles, though .. just ask me how I know! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I used to play in college, but had a hiatus of nearly a decade. I've been playing with a bunch of co-workers two or three times a week since last summer (well, except for when my arm was broken, from a completely unrelated incident).

I suppose it is hard to "master"; precision is rewarded, and developing good ball control (heh heh, I said ball control) could take years. On the other hand, it can be fun and theraputic to just get onto the court and bash the ball around with reckless abandon! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I think I'm going to like it alot. Especially the smashing the balls around! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    I'll definitely wear goggles. I'll let you know how it went. Probably playing on Tues

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    . Especially the smashing the balls around!

[/ QUOTE ]

That just ain't right.

7. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I used to go to a gym that had a couple of racketball courts and a friend and I used to go in and play... didn't know the rules at all, so it was basically smashing the ball around /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It is indeed a good workout and a great stress! A word of advice... I wouldn't recommend playing with someone who is very competitive and has been playing for a while (at least until you develop some ). This guy I worked with heard me talking about racketball and invited me to play a game during our lunch hour. Holy sh!t, I thought I was gonna get killed! I spent most of that hour ducking /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Playing with experienced players is MUCH safer than beginners. If you're ducking the guy isn't very experienced....the big boys and girls never get the ball much over knee high....therefore there is more jummping than ducking. It's a great sport that you can play decently just beggining, then spend years getting really good. Good luck!

9. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

maybe I didn't phrase that right.

What I meant was he was hitting the ball a lot harder than what I was used to... so, I would miss and then the ball would ricochet off the walls and then I would have to duck /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif