Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone "pulled" their rear fenders?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Mar 8, 2005.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have seen it on pre-runners mostly, where they use the stock sheetmetal bedsides and pull it out for tire clearance. I want to try this to keep some weight in the rear of my pickup and not let my tires rub (I like the "uncut" look for now). Anyone doen it and have pics or a write-up? Thanks. :truck:

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've just seen write-ups done to Rangers.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've never seen this done to a fullsize chevy. The closest I've seen are fiberglass bedsides that are flared like you're talking about but they're made for pickup bedsides. It'd be a pain to do to a K5 because you'd have to bondo or glass the new pieces into the sheetmetal. IMHO it's not worth it, bust out the sawzall :hack:

Edit: Just realized it was a pickup, statement still stands though, you'd almost have to do a fiberglass setup and that would get wrecked the first time out. Glass doesn't bend, it cracks.

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

is this what you mean..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I guess I read it wrong:grin:

that is not exactly the uncut look.......

anyways, the fibergl;ass optiion is not that bad, further more if you do your reasearch on it it is not your standard plastic, the stuff is durable depending on what you go with.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK so I exaggerate a little bit about the first time out part, but glass does break instead of bend. It depends on how much damage you plan on doing to the body. I can speak from experience on Glassworks Unlimited fenders. We put a set on my friend's S-10 and yes they are fairly sturdy but trees are heavier duty and I'd rather bend crappy sheetmetal than break expensive fiberglass. Maybe we're way off track here and you're talking strictly about metal work. Oh well, I'll shut up now and go to bed.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Yep, my stepdad did it to his '89 fullsized Chevy. A little different though, it's a street truck and he did it so he could clear 315/60r15 tires on all 4 corners. The front fenders are done too, but those had to be cut and have extra material welded in. The bedsides where hooked to a portapower all around the fender opening IIRC and just stretched out a couple inches. It looks pretty cool and clears the tires really well. Unfortunately the only pics I have you can't tell that anything is stretched.

P0001910.jpg

P0001908.jpg

P0001925.jpg

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yah a port a power is really nice to do it with. I helped a freind do this to an s-10 and we tack welded a jack onto the inner fender and used a block of wood on the other end. It worked pretty good.