Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone put a 292 in something where it wasn't originally??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 6, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone put a 292 in something where it wasn\'t originally??

I have a friend that got a K5, hated it beat it, now its grown on him. He is a 327 nut and talked about puting a blown 327 in it. Well now he shifted again. He is in the process of puting in a 292 I6 with an SM465 and NP205 behind it. I'll get pictures next time I stop around. Can't say I see the reasoning but to each his own. He did say if he ever puts a V8 in it again it has to be a big block.

2. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone put a 292 in something where it wasn\'t originally??

I've got a 250 in my 1966 boat. Runs like a top and has all kinds of torque. Not sure of the specs, I like the old chevy inline 6, but no way would I put one where a SBC was. If it's there, run whatcha brung, otherwise, don't expect a 292 to hold a candle to a SBC, or BBC for that matter. IMHO.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I had one in my beater 69 Chevelle 300 deluxe when I was 17.Someone swapped it in when the old motor died, It was a real bad body , but the 292 would light em up real good when I dumped the clutch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

We also have a 250 in our boat, its a late 80's tri-hull though, originally had a 4 cylinder, the 250 is rated at 165hp with points ignition and 2-bbl carb, I expect a HEI and 4-bbl will bump that up some. This motor actually came out of a mid 80s single hull boat which we bought for 600 bucks for the engine which was in very good shape and fired right up at the dealership. Interior on boat was crap but engine looks like new.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Make sure if you do put electronic ignition and a 4bbl carb on your boat that you use a MARINE distributor and carb.

I used to work on boats and I can't even count how many asshats I've caught trying to put a car carb, starter, alternator, or distributor on a boat. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i know of a 76 or 77 nova coupe that an old guy put a 292 into, had to weld extension plate on pass side to make it work and had no rom for a fan

250 doesnt have the instalation issues that the 292 has, the 292 is pretty unique, is taller overall,

seems to be longer overall too, and is a truck engine only and therefore is a torque producing engine rather than a hp producing engine

good luck

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah the motor mounts are proving to be a good issue. Hes kicking himself for not just going and finding a 292 4x4 and getting the mounts. Its interesting, weird to look under the hood and see this big wall splitting the engine bay right in half.

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have just that combo - look at my signature for spec's .
    What Ya need to know ?
    I went from a healthy BBC to a 292 - something must be wrong with me /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ! 292's are way cool but they are not for everyone .......
    When I decided that I wanted to do a in-line project I found a few donor engines :
    Motor # 1 is out of a 1972 C-40 Dump Truck
    Motor # 2 is out of a 1968 C-10 Cab Chassis ( special order truck )
    Motor # 3 is from a 1978 C-20
    Motor # 4 is out of a 1978 K-30 Wrecker
    Motor # 5 is out of a 1979 K-30 Crew Cab
    Motor # 6 I got at a swap meet and is a 1963 model engine with a steel crank.

I wanted to get a few motors to gain some spare parts and have a few options of pulleys / brackets / motor mounts and stuff - after all GM ain't making these motors any more. I figured I needed to get a few so I would not be in a bind if I ever needed some parts.
    Tom

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Paging TARussell... Paging Mr. TARussell...

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

EDIT : Man I type slow. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Cool, I will be very interested to see it in action. His K5 has 14 bolt out back, D44 up front, and 35 All Terrains all around. He claims it will be fired up on friday, I don't know, I will be there just in case.

11. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

If he is after low-end torque than he should be real happy with the power band of the 292. I went with T.B.I. and an aftermarket camshaft along with higher compression pistons - all in an effort to gain more power at idle.
    I am hoping that with my motor choice, gearing and a Doubler I will be able to look like I know what I am doing in the rocks when we start to travel to other places to go wheeling .......
    I got tired of beating my trucks with lots of horsepower and big engines in the mud/swamps - now I want to go wheeling in the mountains and light rocks , so I hope the 292 will be just the ticket .
    Tom

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats his goal so we shall see.