Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Put A Olds 455 In A Blazer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HEAVY METAL, Jun 1, 2006.

1. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

just picked up an '69 olds f block 455 rocket... was wonderin if any of you ahve doen the same? any tips, tricks? any input would be greatly appreciated yo! :D

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It should bolt in maybe need pontiac to chevy mounts I can't remember if my bro had to use special mounts when he put a Pontiac 400 in his camaro but it fit in that. I would think it would bolt in like a 454 would.

I know that wasnt much help put it def sounds doable. What kinda numbers are you looking at with that thing.

Ira

3. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

stock is 400 hp and 510 ft/lbs.... i want to bore it out to 468 c.i. and go form there?

4. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

my friends got a 455 in his 86 C-10. it fits but is very close to the frame rails. too close to run off the shelf headers.

5. NJBLZ

NJBLZ 1/2 ton status

Something else to consider...

The buick/olds/pontiac/cadillac bellhousing pattern is different from the chevy pattern. Those engines will not match up to a chevy transmission. I've seen a 455 olds in a 2wd pickup, but the transmission was also the olds bolt pattern type. Before chevy started using the 6.2 diesel they used an olds 5.7 diesel, in 1979-1980 or so. I think the guy used those factory 5.7 olds motor mounts on the 455. The olds deisel equiped trucks also had the b/o/p/c transmissions, I guess they were turbo 400s. I dont know if they made any with the 4x4 tailshaft.

6. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

The 5.7 diesel mounts are the way to get a "bolt in" deal. Not sure what to do about exhaust. Olds and Pontiac are different. You can get an adapter for BOP to Chevy bellhousing pattern for about $50 last time I checked.

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The biggest obstacle has to be the exhaust. The olds motor points the exhaust ports straight at the frame, and the motor is extra wide, leaving little room. Using stock manifolds might give you enough room.