Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone put a sub tank in a pickup?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Feb 10, 2003.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Just like the subject line reads, I'd like to know if anyone has put a suburban tank in a pickup. I'd like to ditch the 16 gallon saddle tanks and go to one 42 gallon sub tank where its less likely to get hit by rocks.

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Installed one in a shortbed truck a couple of years ago. We reused the crossmembers from the sub to make it work. the down side in a shortbed is that the front of the tank protrudes over the rear diff. Not a problem for the truck it went into but it could present a problem with one that had a lot of flex and a short suspension lift. In a long bed truck there would be no clearance issues.

3. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Thats pretty much what I wanted hear, since it'll be going into my longbed.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I am doing something similar, using a long bed frame relocating some stuff, and putting my blazer tank and body on it.
    I am probably working on a 118-120" wheelbase.

5. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Is the crossmember just a fuel tank support or does it replace a x-member on the long beds? Not real important, but does anyone know if the x-member can bolt right into a long bed?
    andy

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It doesn't replace anything but it helps in the rigidity of the frame.
    The GM frame twists a lot and the more you can do to help stiffen it the better.
    I am trying to find a location for an X member to make it even stiffer, somewhere in the middle.
    You have to drill the holes for the tank cross member but it will fit perfectly otherwise.

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

what did you do for a filler tube?

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

We (ducttape and I) have been scheming to do something similar to his /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif. Our plans however were to put the tank at the front of the bed with a hole cut through with half of the tank above and the rest below. The bottom half will be slightly higher than the bottom of the frame and will have plenty of room to clear the driveshaft. This will be a 40 (?) gallon tank out of a diesel /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif.