Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Put On The TSM Rear Disks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Overdrive, Jul 24, 2000.

1. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

I have been researching the TSM kit to uprade the rear brakes to disk. I talked with the folks at TSM and the basic kit (rotors, brackets, bolts) sells for 239.95. They sell small SS brake hoses for 50.00, and calipers for 280.00. I just picked-up a usable pair of rear calipers with p-brake for 45.00. TSM recommends 79-85 Caddy ElDorado calipers. My question is: Has anyone purchased this kit? How did the install go? Is their any custom fabrication that needs to be done? TSM told me that I don't need an adjustable valve because I am only running 4" lift and 33s.

Comments... Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Overdrive

2. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I put the TSM kit on 3 years back and it still going strong!
    I spent more time on the lines than on any thing else! I did use a caddy master cyclinder more power with less pedel!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I have their kit on a 14-bolt, but with normal truck calipers (ne parking brake). A friend of mine also has their kit on a 12-bolt. Other than power, it's the best thing we did! Braking will never be the same!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I've got the kit on a S/F 14blt, and other than the non-self adjusting calipers (caddy) I think the system is fine. After my yearly inspection I think I"m going to use the Monty Carlo calipers. I will lose the P-brake ability, but will gain much more breaking ability.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys! Just a couple more questions. I cannot find any good pics of the kit on a chevy. How does the rotor bolt to the axle? Does it use the wheel studs? Also, Corey-88k5, when you say the Caddy calipers are "non-adjusting" what does that mean? I thought by their very nature disk brakes auto adjust.

I did notice that the Caddy calipers are a lot smaller than the current front calipers. I don't want to give up the p-brake capability.

It sounds like the kit has had some success stories. One final question: What mods were necessary to the brake lines? splicing? refab?

Thanks again for your help !!

Overdrive

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The cady rear caliper are self adjusting, its just that they depened on the use of the parking arm movement to do the adjusting. If you dont use the park brake you dont adjust!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken