Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone re-connect the e-brakes on their 14 bolt FF rear end swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mplogic, Jun 25, 2002.

1. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I posted this before but couldn't find it again. My truck is an 89 Blazer with the push in style cables, the rear is off a 77 3/4 ton pickup with the bolt on kind. Someone mentioned using backing plates off an 83 or newer 14 Bolt SF rear end. Anyone have a part number for those? ...or a spare set laying around? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Also, I seem to remember seeing in someone's pics some of the older style bolt on brackets that were adapted to work with the newer style cables (using the original backing plates off the FF rear). Can anyone confirm if this is workable?

Thanks again!

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I also have an 89 blazer that I converted to 14BFF and I did hook up my e-brake cables. The 14 bolt I got came from and 85 suburban and used the same style cables so it was easy for me. Try PMing Greg72, we just did a rear disk conversion on his 14BFF and I know he has left over back plates like you need. I am sure he is willing to part with them.

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

talk to tori89k5...he adapted the older style to the newer cables...he has pics cuz he sent them to me when i was doing it...

Later

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I was able to use the cables that came on the 14 bolt.The axle is from a 74 and the Blazer is an 81 and they hooked up the same. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Be aware that 3/4 and 1 ton backing plates are also different from the other, not just of the e-brake cables, but the depth of the plate itself.

The 1 ton plates are deeper to allow more room for the wider brake shoes. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, that gives me some options. Anyone have a part number for those backing plates?

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you try to get the '83 and newer plates, new from GM, they will only have one side and not the other.

If you get two of the same part number, you can drill a hole on the other plate to make the brake cable go thru.

The one side GM only sells has the hole on one side and the other plate is not available. But if you get two of these same side plates, you can drill the hole on the opposite plate to make the cable on the opposite side.

Get it? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Hey.... go to my webshots page and check out the pics i have of my fix for the cables. Its a cheap and easy way to make them work. I can explain more if your interested in doing it. TORI

9. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Backing plate issue resolved.

Thanks for the info. That fix does look good but I don't have a welder (yet) and didn't want to spend more time on them. I finially got the situation resolved in the form of new backing plates from the dealership. I asked for plates off an 89 Surburban 3/4 ton (which used the 14bolt with the new style cables). They had both in stock but weren't cheap (approx $50 each). Now, does anyone want to buy a pair of old style bolt in backing plates that have been nicely powder coated for dirt cheap. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif