Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone rebuilt a th-350/need tips

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudrunner78, Jan 19, 2002.

1. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I am seriously considering rebuilding my th-350 I have three of them lying around and would like to rebuild one. I currently have a rebuilt th-350 in my truck but the guy gave me the weaker C casting, for my K casting. So what special tools do I need. Where should I buy the parts, and should I buy any upgrade's for the tranny. I remember my drag racing days that upgrading the sprag was very important for lots of torque. Will I need to do that for my mild 383. How hard is it to rebuild one? Thanks in advance Jesse

78 K-10 383, TH-350, NP-203, Dana 70 front, GM 14bolt Rear, 4.56 gears(underconstruction) 78 k-5 stock and rusty

2. mudrunner78

ttt

78 K-10 383, TH-350, NP-203, Dana 70 front, GM 14bolt Rear, 4.56 gears(underconstruction) 78 k-5 stock and rusty

3. BrianK5

BrianK5 Registered Member

You don't need many tools. A standard socket set, good snap-ring pliers and a large flat blade screwdriver shoud get the job done. I can't remember which for the TH350, but to get the front pump off, you need either a pump puller or slide hammers. I think there is a return spring assembly near the tailend of the tranny. If there is one, you will need a spring compressor for that. I don't know about the sprags, but you should be able to get a rebuild kit at a Chevy dealer or NAPA.
    It's not to hard if you have a manual that shows you what to do, and especially how it goes back together.

1985 K5 Blazer

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

go to a local trans shop and ask to see some of thier tools they use to get the 1- 2 clutch pack out. it is a nifty tool. can be used for all kinds of stuff. but you will need one ot them. it is like a spring compresser. but its on the floor. also get a ook on building performance TH350's. then you can see more of the tools you will need and read all about it and decide if you still want to do it. at the same time you can make adjustments to your likes.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

5. mudrunner78

is a video a good idea, and cleaning the case with carb cleaner is ok isn't it. No residue. Jesse

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I used a cheap Harmonic Ballancer puller, 3 3/8's by 1 inch bolts a big washer and a peice of 4x4 inch 1/4 plate. Worked like a champ.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. see if you can find a shop that is willing to help you through it. i found one in town here that will. i have my case torn down as far as the low reverse clutch pac and the guy is gong to remove that for me and clean my case for 20 bucks. plus he will order my kit and said if run into any probs to just throw it all in the truck and come on down. pretty cool. just need to get around to doing it now.[​IMG]

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

8. i also baught the th350 handbook by Ron Sessions. great book with lots of clear pictures and step by step insructions. a must have in my opinion.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Special tools- the typical stuff, like dial indicator, snap gages, bushing installers, Micrometers, wire feeler gages, and a good local shop- to get all the specialty parts for ya. THE BOOK (as mentioned before) is a MUST, IMHO. You can fab up some kind of compressor for the last clutch pack in the bottom of the case. I used some all-thread and unistrut to get mine out.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5</a>