Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Rebuilt A Th400 Before?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4wheelin4Jesus, Aug 13, 2005.

1. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

I was considering rebuilding a th400 myself. I found a video doing a step by step instruction of how to do it. Has anyone done this before? How hard is it? What kind of special tools will i need to get? Or, should i just save my money, and have a pro do it?
    thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've done a couple.

Maybe the powerglide is easier, but of the TH350, 400, and 2004R, I think the 400 was the easiest. Best to learn on anyways.

I used a press to make putting the drums back together easier, but I'm sure there are ways around that too.

3. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

No. It has never been done before. Ever.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

yo dude!
    I've rebuilt a few th400's, th350's 700r4's and a few shift kits as well.
    The th400's seemed easiest. :thumb:
    Search Transmission rebuild or th400 and see what you can dig up on this site..
    Heres a link to some old pics of my th400 rebuild:
    http://groups.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/th400transmissionrebuild.msnw

I went with the B&M master racing overhaul kit for all the rebuild seals, clutches, steels and bushings. ($125). and eventually I put in a tci reverse manual valve body.. the only tools you'll need that i can remember is a dial indicator to measure input and output shaft endplay, an inlbs torque wrench for the valve body bolts etc, some picks for the snaprings, maybe some snapring pliers, and a clutch hub compressor tool (special tool for changing seals in clutch hubs!)
    Buy an ATSG manual for the TH400 and it will walk you through the teardown and reassembly. :cool:
    Treat it like surgery, spread out a bunch of clean newspaper, and try to keep all the parts in order the way they came out of the tranny.
    [​IMG]

Good luck. :o

5. 4wheelin4Jesus

i really appreciate your help, and the pics.

6. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

The best manual that i have found is the haynes it shows a lot more pictures than the ATSG manuals. The best thing is the one book covers a few different trannys

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

From the one video I have of a tranny rebuild, it is far superior to the ATSG manuals as well. ATSG manuals pictures were pretty bad when I used them.

The one video I've got (2004R) the rebuilder showed one trick that saved me so much time and hassle that the tape was worth it for that alone.

8. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Very mature response. :rolleyes:

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

dude go for it, get yourself a good manual and go in elbows deep. You wouldnt believe how simple these things are once you get in there and do it. Handle it like you would when you rebuild a motor, have a very clean organized area, keep your parts in order and take it step by step. I just put in my reverse manual valve body and it was a simple deal. The only thing was a check ball jumped into another part of the valve and the ball went into the damn tranny. :doah: So I had to tear into it to retrieve the freakin thing. Wasnt bad at all though. Just alot of snap rings and what not. Get some picks and piano wire, that makes it alot easier to get the rings out. Be careful with how things come apart and be some of the proud few who rebuild their own trannies. :waytogo:

10. 4wheelin4Jesus

cool, thanks for your reply, and advice. I have the instructional video on order right now, and a manual to go with it.