Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone rebuilt, repacked factory hubs?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Mar 28, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ok I'm planning on driving this 71 beast 350 miles this summer one way, and I really don't need any troubles on the way, so I've rebuilt the tranny and tcase, replaced rear u-joints, I'd kinda like to repack the front hubs to be safe since I don't know when it was done last?
    Dana -44 hubs are original best I can tell
    any info or manuels for this around?

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Come on surely someone has dealt with the hubs on there truck???
    are these not packed like wheel bearings on a 2wd?
    Don't really want to make a long trip and get stranded in the middle of nowhere tx

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It is just not easy to discribe in words...there are alot of small parts in there that need to go in the same way they came out. I think the best thing to do would be to buy a repair manual w/ a diagram of how it goes together.

Other than that you will need a pair of external snap ring pliers and a pick to remove the internal snap ring.

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

OK 3 questions, Where do I get this information? Does anyone have it scanned?
    Also is the 3/4T D44 the same?

5. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

LKJR,
    I've done mine once (about 3yrs ago) and they weren't that hard that I remember. If you have a good memory, just take them apart and remember what order they came out. If not, you should be able to find the info in any manual. I have even found the manual at the Library and checked it out before. Hope that helps!

6. 72gmc-burb

72gmc-burb Registered Member

Try www.ifsja.org, the fullsize jeep association has a technecial section w/ an artical on dana 44 hub rebuilding. The hubs are the same between these old jeeps and K5's

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

It can't be done. You'll have to pull YOUR axle and trash it, then buy a new one at the chevy dealership.

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

right thanks for the insight bryan

I think the dealership there on lamberth sells that flatback hardtop you need too, along with the plexi hood

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

thanks esse...I needed some help on that one fo' sho'.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. 72gmc-burb

72gmc-burb Registered Member

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

It's not that hard. I would suggest new bearings and races as well as seals. It is easier to replace everything with wear all at once while it is apart. Just take your time. The bearings need to be very well packed with high quality grese, but the locking hubs need only a light coat. Just take your time, do one side at a time, and keep all the pieces in the same order and direction that they came out in.

12. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i think everyone else mostly covered it.just make sure you pull everything and put it in order of the way it came off.double check the condition of the bearings.if you want to replace them it costs about 20 dollars per bearing [2 per side} and $10 for the seal[1 per side].then you have to buy the bearing nut removal tool.that is between 10 and 25 dollars depending on what kind you buy.

i had my front hub break when my wheel bearings blew.the previous owner put the truck through some water and never repacked the bearings.luckily i was only going 25 at the time.the only thing that saved my wheel from completely falling off was the brake line attached to the caliper.